• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

White spots around iris. osseous metaplasis?

ieatmylice

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I’ve always noticed my guinea pig (male, 2 years old) has these white spots around the iris of his eye. Didn’t know if it was normal, doesn’t seem to bother him. Thanks for your feedback! 32E91DEF-AC2E-4599-9339-C53BC19FFD39.jpeg

Attachments

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
:agr: It’s best to have him checked out by a vet. You can have him seen by a general vet as eye treatment is pretty much the same for different animals.

Please can you add your location (county/state or country) to your profile. It makes it easier when tailoring information for you.

Does your boy live alone or with another piggy?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I’ve always noticed my guinea pig (male, 2 years old) has these white spots around the iris of his eye. Didn’t know if it was normal, doesn’t seem to bother him. Thanks for your feedback!
View attachment 153453

Hi!

It looks like osseous metaplasia to me, too. This is not at all uncommon especially in older piggies but even without, the rim of the eye tends to get fuzzier and more irregular as piggies age.

I have had more than one oldie with osseous metaplasia although my Maelog had it strongest by the time he died aged 7 years from a blockage in the gut.

What happens is that soft tissue in the eye is replaced with bone tissue. It is not painful and all it does is constricting the field of view a bit. It cannot be treated. But nothing to worry about, either! Just one of those things that come with age...

More information: Links - Eye Conditions - Guinea Lynx Records