• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

White Substance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyanna

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi! Today I noticed a white substance smeared on the cover I use to put hay on. What could this be?

Could be excess calcium that has been excreted in the urine, is it powdery?

it sounds like a calcium pee and it is nothing to worry about. Only if the deposit is very gritty do you need to worry, as that could indicate bladder sludge. Milky pee that dries into a fine powdery deposit is the way that a guinea pig body is getting rid of excess calcium. If you have a lot, I would start reducing the pellets (especially if you have alfalfa based pellets) and filter the water.

I use water out of water bottles, and my pellets are Timothy based, but I will reduce pellets!

I use water out of water bottles, and my pellets are Timothy based, but I will reduce pellets!

I would only it if you have lots calcium pees; the odd one is no problem at all. Some guinea pigs are much more sensitive to calcium - I see that with my own two dozen piggies.

I would only it if you have lots calcium pees; the odd one is no problem at all. Some guinea pigs are much more sensitive to calcium - I see that with my own two dozen piggies.

Oh! Ok! I'll keep watching, that's the first one I saw. :) thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back