Who Should be Neighbours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is the right place to put this, if not would one of the mods move it please :)

When Albie (formerly Max) & his "wives" move in, who should they live next door to?

I've read that having girls next to boys can cause problems when the boys are older. Angus & Fergus will be 12wks on Weds & i don't want to have to separate them, i'd rather avoid any trouble.

At the moment my set-up is:
Bottom Level - The W's & the R's separated by a solid divider
Middle Level - Huxley & Hamish living separately & separated by a mesh divider
Top Level - Angus & Fergus with no-one next door & separated with a solid divider - this is where i was going to put Albie & co.

Would it be better to put Angus & Fergus next to Huxley (mesh divider) & put Hamish next to Albie & the ladies but replace the solid divider with a mesh one so they too can interact?

Any advice would be appreciated

Niki :)

C

cavykind

Think I've got this right in my mind!

If Hamish is an entire male (and possibly this would still apply if he is not) if you place him next to Albie and the girls, with only a mesh divider separating him, he will be demented and constantly chew and pull at the mesh to get to the females. Or this is what the usual male guinea pig would do. Albie might also get agitated at the presence of another boar.
Better to leave the solid divider, he will no doubt still be able to smell the females, but he hopefully won't get as upset.
Just my thoughts on the matter, hope it helps :)

Barbara

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would avoid having any pairs of boys near the girls just incase. Boys are so ruled by their 'bits' that being close to the ladies could start them fighting.

I would go with a solid divider as Barbara has said otherwise Hamish may get very frustrated! I do have a male/female pair divided with cubes but they are both elderly and past being interested in the opposite sex! Hamish will get lots of interaction with the others in the shed from scent and sound so I'm sure he will be fine.

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you both, :) that's helped sort that level out.
My next question is: should i leave the mesh divider between Huxley & Angus & Fergus so they can interact or make that solid too?

Niki :)

C

cavykind

If it were me, I'd make it a solid divider. They might be fine but if they start getting agitated, the boys who actually share might start arguing with each other...or worse ::)

Barbara

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You need another layer to put Max and wives on the top and the rest of the boys below ;D ;D

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
kayjay said:
You need another layer to put Max and wives on the top and the rest of the boys below ;D ;D
Funny you should say that Kathryn :D
I'm toying with the idea of opening up the top hutchwhich would give the trio the full 10ft, moving Angus & Fergus next to Huxley & putting Hamish into Ruben & Ryes old hutch - then the trio will just have neighbours downstairs.

Does everyone think this would be the best option?

cavykind said:
If it were me, I'd make it a solid divider. They might be fine but if they start getting agitated, the boys who actually share might start arguing with each other...or worse ::)

Barbara
Thanks Barbara ;D
When i originally had the W's next to the H's divided by mesh i had to replace it with a solid one as Wilbur was like a pig demented gnashing at the mesh to get to the H's & when he couldn't he started on his brother ::)

I'm assuming both Huxley & Hamish will be fine on their own, not being able to see other piggies as they'll still be able to smell & hear them

Sorry for all the questions, i just want to make sure i get it right with the least amount of disruption for all concerned, myself included ;D

Niki

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think that will be the best solution Niki, and give the trio a bit more room too, lucky pigs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.