• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

COVID-19 Whos children are returning to school?

Emx93

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Our schools been amazing and put the option to parents, I've said unsure for now, unless there's a significant decline in the rate of infection this will likely be a no until September for us!

Is anyone going back? What have you chosen to do?

My girls are in none of the primary years said to be going back. With regards my son, I don’t know what is going on yet.

I don't have any kids (because I'm a minor myself!) but I unfortunately have to return to school in a week which I am not happy about. I've been doing online learning for around 2 months now but have to go back as there has been a significant drop in cases.

I have a daughter in year 3 and one in year 7.

Our school are currently trying to work out how they can have the reception, year 1 and year 6 children back and as yet we’ve (the other school years) not heard anything further. Of course though they have now said they want all primary children back by the end of June. I don’t think I will be sending my year 3 back yet. I appreciate that the virus isn’t going anyway even in September, but I think it’s too soon just yet - I will see what happens with cases though , there is always the chance that the schools won’t be reopening anyway if the cases start to go back up.

There seems to be no plan to send the secondary children back (except yrs 10 and 12) anytime before September, so she will will obviously be staying home.

I work in a preschool which is also planning to reopen, i obviously can’t go back to work because I will have af least my eldest child here given there aren’t plans to send secondary back.

I work at my daughter's primary school and she is year 6, so she could return to school, however I work in KS1 so it almost will double our potential exposure if we are both in. Not quite sure what is the best thing to do.
Really need secondary to go back but appreciate that is so much more difficult.

Our local middle school is open, so my 15 year old went back this week.
Rather horrifying though, as it turns out no measures at all for social distancing have been put in place.
She is super happy to be back, but I will admit I am a little anxious.

My younger daughter was actually due to start at a new school just after the lock-down started, and her school have opted to continue with online school for now. We are very lucky that they have made such an effort to include her when it would have been easier (for them) to delay her start and just let her join once schools go back.

So I have one at school and one at home right now.

The school my mum works in have also put the option out there. The headteacher isn’t keen on everyone coming back though! The unions are also fighting against it as it’s just unsafe.
If you get the choice, please don’t send your child. First think of your child’s safety, then consider the safety of the teaching staff. A school is a breeding ground for all illnesses. Just think how quickly sickness bugs, colds and head lice go around. If corona enters the building, the children and the teaching staff are likely to become infected. I know the theory is that children are unlikely to get the virus, but what if they can but are just asymptomatic? That means teaching staff will become infected. It’s hard to contain the virus in a school through means like washing hands as it’s not possible to wash hands of all young children and of staff every 10 minutes. In reception, which is generally free-flow, every station will have to be cleaned after children have used it. This is borderline impossible!
Anyway, I could go on and on. But please if you have the option, keep your children at home. Whether kids can get it or not, all the teaching staff (including headteachers) don’t feel it’s safe to allow children back and don’t feel safe working with high numbers of children. The headteacher at my mums school said he absolutely would not be sending his children back if he could help it but both he and his wife are key workers so have no choice. If the headteacher and the union don’t believe it’s safe, then it’s not safe

My children are in year 8 and year 10.. We have had an email regarding my daughter, year 10, which says

" You may have seen in the news that if the government thinks it is safe, then we may partially reopen at some point later this term to pupils in yer 10 & 12. This is to allow some face to face, personal support purely to help them get the most from their remote studies.

As soon as we can we will share with you what it will look like in practice for these years so you can make an informed decision at that time."

So really we are none the wiser at the minute. I think mentally, it will do my daughter good to go back but then she has also admitted she is slightly worried too!

My children are in year 8 and year 10.. We have had an email regarding my daughter, year 10, which says

" You may have seen in the news that if the government thinks it is safe, then we may partially reopen at some point later this term to pupils in yer 10 & 12. This is to allow some face to face, personal support purely to help them get the most from their remote studies.

As soon as we can we will share with you what it will look like in practice for these years so you can make an informed decision at that time."

So really we are none the wiser at the minute. I think mentally, it will do my daughter good to go back but then she has also admitted she is slightly worried too!
It’s a difficult balancing act. I don’t think mine will be back anytime soon. Kind of ‘resigned’ to it, though that’s not quite the word I’m looking for.

My nephews are in school anyway as their mum is a keyworker, but Liverpool schools aren't reopening yet- a good thing too I think, I mean imagine if keyworkers kids got exposed then took the virus home and their parents spread it to care homes or hospitals...

I don't have any kids (because I'm a minor myself!) but I unfortunately have to return to school in a week which I am not happy about. I've been doing online learning for around 2 months now but have to go back as there has been a significant drop in cases.

That must be worrying for you. I thought it was only primary schools opening for reception classes and year 6

My son is in year 7 and his school has specified that his year won't be going back until at least September.
Not sure if I am entirely happy about that but they have yo go back sometime.
Will wait and see what the case situation is when the cold weather comes back.

My son is in year 7 and his school has specified that his year won't be going back until at least September.
Not sure if I am entirely happy about that but they have yo go back sometime.
Will wait and see what the case situation is when the cold weather comes back.
Would you have preferred he go back? I have to say I’m worried about my sons progression - he’s also in year 7. The teachers are doing extremely well under the circumstances so I’m in no way putting this on them. I think home learning is different to learning at school. We shall see. I think summer will be dotted with some school work for all three.

Would you have preferred he go back? I have to say I’m worried about my sons progression - he’s also in year 7. The teachers are doing extremely well under the circumstances so I’m in no way putting this on them. I think home learning is different to learning at school. We shall see. I think summer will be dotted with some school work for all three.
Not sure really,I have been getting my sons work from school every week because the programme they use online wont work on my chromebook.i must say it all seems pretty standard to me nothing complicated.i agree that learning at home is different...mainly due to distractions and me not having the same authority over him as the teachers lol.....
I think I would definitely be happier with them going back in September but as they said the virus may re surface in colder months so we shall see....

That must be worrying for you. I thought it was only primary schools opening for reception classes and year 6
I live in Australia, so this week Years 1, 2, 11 and 9 returned. Next week my year will be returning. (We have really low infection rates in my state right now).

We don’t have children and Wirral Council are keeping their schools closed.
Will be thinking of all of you who do have children

My children are both grown up but I have a nearly 3 year old Granddaughter who is due to start Pre Prep in September.

My feeling is that it would be so much better to leave any return to school until September. Introducing social distancing etc to littlies is just cruel in my opinion.

They wont understand why they cant hug each other, play as they used to, cant use certain equipment etc.

I saw a News article last night showing a school preparing for reopening next month. Lines on the floor where the children must stand. The saddest was the library where the books were all taped off as the children wont be allowed to touch them.

So much could have changed by September, why subject them to such tough measures when they may have been eased significantly by then?

My Granddaughter is an only child and is going to Pre Prep more for the social side. If she isnt allowed contact with others she wont be going. Its pointless and will do more harm to her emotional health than good.

So, to sum up, no I wouldnt be sending a child of mine back to school next month.

Back