• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Whos dominant? Dot or Bernie?

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Dots behaviour -
*Steels veg off bernie every time veg is given
* strikes at bernie if he gets too in her face but doesnt use teeth, just a fakey kind of warning.
* dot sprays bernie with pee if he sniff her bum lol.

* dot sometimes rumble struts at bernie ( quite rare)

Bernies behaviour-

* if he wants that hidey shes in, he gets it, he dives in and chases her out.

*he will nibble her ear quite often , sometimes she lets him, others she sort of strikes at him but no teeth used.

* if he wants to bonk her, its definitely happening.

* he rumble struts all the time up and down the cage.

* he never steals veg from dot.

Livia Rabideau

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
😂. Not sure! Sounds very entertaining though. My boys are funny too. The one (Chewy) rumble struts all over all of the time. The other one (Finn) tries to mount him and lick him, but he hates it. Chewy will snap at Finn when he tries to mount him then run away squealing 😂. Chewy also sprays Finn 😂. He also gets in Finn's face, Finn chases him then he again runs away squealing. Silly piggies.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Dots behaviour -
*Steels veg off bernie every time veg is given
* strikes at bernie if he gets too in her face but doesnt use teeth, just a fakey kind of warning.
* dot sprays bernie with pee if he sniff her bum lol.

* dot sometimes rumble struts at bernie ( quite rare)

Bernies behaviour-

* if he wants that hidey shes in, he gets it, he dives in and chases her out.

*he will nibble her ear quite often , sometimes she lets him, others she sort of strikes at him but no teeth used.

* if he wants to bonk her, its definitely happening.

* he rumble struts all the time up and down the cage.

* he never steals veg from dot.
I would think that Bernie is likely the more dominant. Dot's behaviour is compatible with a sow in or out of season (rumblestrutting and target peeing). Food snatching is not a dominance issue.

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I feel like this is what my two are like! Lol 😂
Lol its fun to watch when they accidently touch noses when sniffing about through hay, its mainly Dot who jumps out the way and moans, shes a right snob, then Bernie runs over and start doing the highest chin competition. Its not fair hes taller lol