• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Why Are My Guinea Pigs Quiet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doris

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I bought my two female guinea pigs from a pet store on 23rd June this year. I was told they had been born at around the start of May so that makes them about nearly 3 months old. I have them in a large cage indoors and they seem to have settled in quite well. They do run and hide when they are startled but Maisie has started to come to sniff my hand if I put it in the cage. I hold them everyday and they have floor time in a run most days. However they rarely wheek or squeak. I had guinea pigs years ago and I remember them squeaking a lot. Why do you think Maisey and Daisy are so Quiet?
When I hold them and feed them treats they sometimes make a purr sound. Now I know that there are many different theories about this noise. Some people say it's made when the piggies are annoyed and some say it is when they are happy. I like to think mine are making it because I'm happy!

Ps I like this site but could not post a thread until I found the 'How to' section specifically to help newbies. Many thanks to the author ☺

As your piggies are still very young and new I'm sure it's just because they are still settling in. Some guineas are just less vocal than others though. Do you feed them at the same time each day? I find routine is best, mine know when they are getting fed each day and I clank their bowls other when I go to fill them then they know food is coming and associate that noise with it, so whenever they hear that noise they squeak like crazy now!

Thank you for your reply.
I am trying to set up a feeding routine - I give them some veggies and hay in the morning and in the evening they have more hay and pellets. I also give them grass at some point in the day. Maybe they are never hungry and that's why they don't squeak!

They are always hungry. Piggies always are no matter what! Maybe yours aren't vocal at all or they just need a bit more of time to get used to you and their new home.
Teddy almost never squeaked, which also surprised me because Lupo and Sira (especially Sira) which were the previous ones I had, used to make a lot of noise! And there was Teddy, who just used to sit and wait until I gave him his veggies or his pellets or whatever. He used to purr a lot though, he looked like an engine! Lol.

They are always hungry. Piggies always are no matter what! Maybe yours aren't vocal at all or they just need a bit more of time to get used to you and their new home.
Teddy almost never squeaked, which also surprised me because Lupo and Sira (especially Sira) which were the previous ones I had, used to make a lot of noise! And there was Teddy, who just used to sit and wait until I gave him his veggies or his pellets or whatever. He used to purr a lot though, he looked like an engine! Lol.
Maisemore and Daisy purr quite a lot too. They are so cute. I can't believe how much I love them already!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back