• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

why cant guineas have iceberg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Squeeky-pig

i read smething lately saying guineas cant have iceberg but didnt say why! mine have been fine with it all thier lives but i was shocked to find out they shoulndt have it

Squeeky-pig said:
i read smething lately saying guineas cant have iceberg but didnt say why! mine have been fine with it all thier lives but i was shocked to find out they shoulndt have it
It did say in the actual thread.

Yeah, it can cause stomach problems and shouldn't be fed to them. You should give them the darker leaves now that you know, even if you had given iceberg to them before.

Kimmie

Mmm yes I think that iceberg has little nutritional value but stuff like romaine lettuce and the leafier dark lettuces are ok and better for them

Lettuce of any variety should only be given as a treat,and only in small amounts.Lettuce contains laudenam and has no nutritional value.Iceburg lettuce is too high in nitrates for piggies. Mary

guineapigvet said:
Lettuce of any variety should only be given as a treat,and only in small amounts.Lettuce contains laudenam and has no nutritional value.Iceburg lettuce is too high in nitrates for piggies. Mary

And the irony is that most guineas will kill for lettuce ::)

Mary, are you a qualified vet :)

Barbara

if lettuce is a treat does that mean they shoulld do hand stands and summersaults for it? i knew i was doing something wrong

Squeeky-pig said:
if lettuce is a treat does that mean they shoulld do hand stands and summersaults for it? i knew i was doing something wrong
?

guineapigvet said:

I was also told this years ago, think actually I read it in cavys magazine any spare lettuce goes in our koi pond they love it and attack like Parana, my pigs dont get lettuce much if at all, maybe a little snippit in my hand but not as a regular treat

michellemuffin said:
guineapigvet said:

I was also told this years ago, think actually I read it in cavys magazine any spare lettuce goes in our koi pond they love it and attack like Parana, my pigs dont get lettuce much if at all, maybe a little snippit in my hand but not as a regular treat

mine dont get much either now,maybe a bit for Angel while shes in her state ;)

I'm a tad confused. I thought other types of lettuce such as romaine and the dark red leaves etc were fine but someone's saying that they should only be given sparingly cos they contain laudenaum? (sorry don't know how to do the thingy to quote what people have already said) Mine are so fussy that they turn their noses up at stuff that they previously loved and constantly want new things, lettuce (other than iceburg) is a favourite for now. Also, I've read conflicting info on what's ok and what's not. HELP!

My pigs will stand up and beg,sit on my feet so I cannot move,tug my trouser leg,or just stand in front of me and stare,and boy--can piggies stare.This all takes place often soon after they have just scoffed a bowl of veggies---they are not called pigs for nothing.! Mary

To all who enquired about my nickname,no I do not wear a white coat and I do not have letters after my name,not vetinary ones anyway.!Maybe I picked a silly board name,but I feel I know as much as the majority of bog standard vets who are not interested in pigs,because they do not bring in enough money.A vet can charge big bucks for treating a pedigree cat or dog.I have a medical background and have adjusted this to piggy care,I taught myself because of the lack of vet care and info about pigs,then I met Peter Gurney and he taught me all he knew,which is quite a lot.Of recent years I have been blessed by the arrival in my area of a vet who admitted she knew little about pigs but was interested and willing to learn.Peter taught her as well and she passed the knowledge on to another vet in the practise and also the vet nurses.I have lived with piggies for just over 20 years and am still on a steep learning curve with them.They are so complex and fascinating I love them very much and the more knowledge we can glean and pass on to others the better the outlook for these little creatures who have been so ignored in the past by the vet.profession.Thanks to the efforts of Peter,and vets like Anne and Andy this situation is now changing. Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back