Why Do Guinea Pigs Stops Wheeking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drezella

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,

I just wondered if anyone knew the reasons why guinea pigs might stop wheeking? My boys Paddy & Rohan used to get really excited about their veg and pellets when I'd serve them, they'd wheek a lot as I was preparing their food. Recently over the past couple of months they haven't seemed as interested and have stopped wheeking altogether. (They are still eating and doing everything as normal though). I've had to treat them for lice over the past couple of months which has involved bathing them and putting drops on them with ivermectin. Obviously they haven't enjoyed this, but I've had to do it in order to treat them. I was wondering whether they've lost trust in me or something like that? What could be a reason for them not getting excited about their food and floor time anymore?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
How old are your boys? Guinea pigs are at their loudest and most vocal during the first few months of their lives when they are at their most vulnerable to accidents and predators, but they quieten down noticeably as the approach adulthood and become more experienced.

Drezella

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh also I forgot to mention, as they are boars they've been having a lot of fall outs lately, Rohan is constantly asserting his dominance over Paddy, and often chases him around the cage and sometimes barbers him. They have never had any proper fights or drawn blood thankfully, but they've definitely been a lot moodier around each other lately. They are both over 12 months old now, not sure on their exact age as they are rescues, but they should be past the teenage hormonal stage hopefully. :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh also I forgot to mention, as they are boars they've been having a lot of fall outs lately, Rohan is constantly asserting his dominance over Paddy, and often chases him around the cage and sometimes barbers him. They have never had any proper fights or drawn blood thankfully, but they've definitely been a lot moodier around each other lately. They are both over 12 months old now, not sure on their exact age as they are rescues, but they should be past the teenage hormonal stage hopefully. :)
The age is right for them to shift to a much less vocal adult behaviour. Guinea pigs reach a more hormonally settled adulthood around 12-15 months of age.

Drezella

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Right ok, so it's completely normal then? I was worried that I'd frightened or upset them. :)

Abbie

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My boys were the same. They stopped wheeking for a little while! But still acted completely normally!
Over the last couple of weeks they have started again though! Now they are back to keeping me up at night:))

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They are probably just getting older and more settled. Pigs tend to be more boisterous when they are really young- like little kids!

Status
Not open for further replies.