• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Why Do My Guinea Pigs Feet Turn Really Red..?

Caris'sPiggys23

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So lattley my piggys feet have turned red it mostly happens after she plays outside for a couple mins.What i mean in minutes is like 10 to 15 minutes max counts on how hot the day is.And sometimes when she comes back in her feet turn like a darkish red,I was maybe wondering if it was from heat are maybe her feet are sore she popcorns quite alot when she gose outside.If anyone may know some informations or tips on this please reply to this thread.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
So lattley my piggys feet have turned red it mostly happens after she plays outside for a couple mins.What i mean in minutes is like 10 to 15 minutes max counts on how hot the day is.And sometimes when she comes back in her feet turn like a darkish red,I was maybe wondering if it was from heat are maybe her feet are sore she popcorns quite alot when she gose outside.If anyone may know some informations or tips on this please reply to this thread.
Hi!

The colour depends on the intensity of the blood circulation. If piggies will feel hot, they increase the surface blood flow in the ears and the skin. It is most noticeable in pale ears and feet. If your piggy is very active or feeling hot, the blood flow will increase the way we humans start to sweat - which piggies can't do.

I hope that this answers your question?

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Pigs with pink feet may get red feet if they are warm or active... you can also see their ears get pinker. It's just increased blood circulation to help them to cool off. Blood flow increases in pigs with darker skin on the feet and ears too, you just can't see it as easily!

Caris'sPiggys23

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

The colour depends on how the intensity of the blood circulation. If piggies will feel hot, they increase the surface blood flow in the ears and and skin. It is most noticeable in pale ears and feet. If your piggy is very active, the blood flow will increase the way we humans start to sweat - which piggies can't do.

I hope that this answers your question?
Thank You! this really helped <3

Caris'sPiggys23

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Pigs with pink feet may get red feet if they are warm or active... you can also see their ears get pinker. It's just increased blood circulation to help them to cool off. Blood flow increases in pigs with darker skin on the feet and ears too, you just can't see it as easily!
And Thank You!As Well☺

Caris'sPiggys23

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So she is a very active and she moves and runs she popcorns a whole lot to lol so i think this may be the cause I'm sorry for my spelling<3lol