• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Why don't you like breeders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cobweb

I have detected a little animosity towards breeders on here from time to time and I wondered why? I breed for show and keep about 100 pigs, they're well fed and very well looked after and I'm very careful about who I sell my spare stock to so what's wrong with breeders? I'd love to know if I'm doing anything wrong.

I don't like breeders/petshops beause there are lots of piggies in rescues waiting for homes who have been through alot and need a loving home. That's what I think :)

I think you'll find that rescues and breeders are coming from two different worlds. Rescues see all the hundreds of ill treated animals that need loving homes and feel breeders are adding to this problem. The very fact you use the word 'stock' and have a hundred suggests that they're not loved 'pets' to you, they're stock for showing and selling. That's two very different viewpoints. I'm not saying all breeders back to back breed and sell to petshops etc, but those that do are unfortunately adding to the problem of overpopulation.

However, I personally do not have a problem with someone breeding on a small scale - I got my two girls from a local breeder who only has 30 max at any time and cares for them as I do mine, she brings them in at night onto the sofa and gives them top quality care. She also devotes some of her cages for rescues.

However, this forum is rescue friendly and does not advocate breeding or showing.

Hellooo i think I'm pretty neutral about this, I'm new to this forum and ive just got my 2 sexy girls from a breeder and i have to say they were in great conditions.BUT I reserved my girls Before i joined here and to be honest i didnt know just how many lickle piggys were needing rehoming,that were sat in rescue centres , looking for love ,so my point is if i had known before- i would have rescued instead of getting from a breeder. And hopefully id like to rehome a couple of rescue piggys in the future rather than go to a petshop, breeder. :)

I have one petshop pig, two rescue pigs and two bought from a breeder pigs! I have to say the pigs from the breeder are gorgeous, longhaired, relaxed girls, the petshop pig is more of a mongrel dog, full of personality and all cute and the two rescue boys are a lot more nervous and give me a lot of satisfaction to see how well they're coming along. All of these pigs needed a good home and I'm glad I've got each of them, regardless of their origins.

There is a little animosity towards breeders on here because if you check out the forum rules, this is a rescue friendly forum where we ask that discussions about intentional breeding and showing are kept to elsewhere.

I'm very careful about who I sell my spare stock to

Thats one of the reasons why I do not like breeders coming on here... they class guinea pigs as their "stock". Guinea pigs have a soul and should not be classed as a thing. I am not saying breeders are bad people at all but if you would like to use this forum, you will have to respect that we do not want discussions on breeding/showing on this forum. Breeders and people who show their pigs are just as welcome aslong as they abide by this forums rules and guidelines.

I wish all my rescue pigs were well bred purebreds. The one time I have had p/breds in they were easy to rehome. Not that 'pets' aren't Gorgeous, there's nothing nicer than a mismarked Dutch or Am crested for instance :)

In my ideal world pet shops wouldn't sell livestock, I think there is enough quality (though not all ::) surplus stock provided by the Fancy.

Please don't assume we all hate breeders, there are a couple of us here (rescues) that have some very good breeder friends :) No breeders = no quality pigs I'd like to see some changes but they ain't gonna happen and lifes too short to bang your head on a brick wall :D

There's good and bad in all in my opinion and you can shoot me down for sitting on the fence and not taking one side but life's too short! ;D

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I don't dislike breeders as such - more certain types of breeders.

I know a breeder who also shows. Whilst it isn't my sort of thing, I don't criticise because her animals are very well looked after. She doesn't have large numbers of animals and she rarely sells them - on occasion she might to people she knows. She is very careful about how she breeds - to ensure no health or behavioural problems are passed on etc.

On the other hand, there are some breeders with 'puppy farm' type set ups breeding back to back for pet shops, selling at auctions where the animals may end up as snake feed.... I guess it is like all things, some breeders will be OK, others not. Unfortunately, you hear so much about those that are not....

I agree with you Karen I'm on he fence with this issue but in my eyes as long as they are well looked after when in your care it doesnt matter where they come from, I love my boys from the Pets shop and i love my girls that i rescued, would i change either nope i love them all

I do understand everyone's point of view and I agree with much of what's being said here, especially squeakypigs comments on my use of the term "spare stock" and I perhaps used the term "stock" unwisely because I think of all of my pigs as pets and showing them is not my first concern because I've kept guinea pigs for over forty years but I've only been showing them since 1997.
I may have a lot of pigs but everyone of them has a name and I know everyone of them by name as well. I don't breed pigs especially for sale and I don't sell to pet shops, If I have an extra animal then I sell it to people like yourselves who want a pig for a pet and can offer it a good home and I'd rather give a pig away to someone who will look after it than sell it for a few pounds to someone who I don't think is trustworthy. I do know of breeders who breed to supply pet shops and I don't agree with this and I will never deal with them also I think that pet shops should be a lot more careful about who they sell animals to and perhaps as someone else has said they should not be allowed to sell livestock at all.
Also, unlike some breeders I don't sell off or kill my old or retired pigs, they stay with me and live out their lives until they meet a natural end and that's why I have ended up with so many. All breeders are not the same because there are good and bad breeders just as there are good and bad pet guinea pig owners and if anyone doubts that I care for my pigs then you are most welcome to come and see for yourselves because visitors are always welcome in my shed.

I think it was just as you referred them as stock that may have upset people, I agree that there are good and bad breeders the same as good and bad keepers !

I love mine dearly and personally if i wanted another i would have one tomorrow where from - who knows i think you know whens its the right one if that makes sense

You are right, cobweb, there are good and bad breeders.

I have a friend in Germany who breeds - for the simple reason that there arent any rescues nearby, however there are two dodgy breeders. She has a fabulous setup for her piggies, and she just wants people to see how piggies should be kept, and wants them to buy from her instead of the ones from the other breeders who dont treat them well.

So really, she does it to boycott unresponsible breeders and promote piggy welfare.

However, in general I am against breeding. When I see all the unwanted piggies in rescue centers, I wonder if the world really needs even more piggies, if there are already more guinea pigs than available homes...

I can vouch for Cobweb as I've been there - its amazing. I brought my Ivomec form Cobweb along with other things.
I got so much info and fell in love with some of the animals there - as was obvious Mr & Mrs Cobweb were totally besotted.
How they could tell all their animals apart I really don't know!
The housing they were all in was enviable and the garden was full of kale not flowers - for the Pigs not the humans!

cobweb you sound a responsible breeder to me, as said before it was the simple word of Stock that got some of us annoyed if you had refered to them as your babies or as my family it automatically takes the stigma of bad breeder from you, I am not against breeders AS LONG AS they are not bred for pet shops, given cuddles etc making them more like part of the family and loved until they go over the rainbow bridge, you sound to me as if you do all that, so I personally have no problem with that,
I adore mixed breeds pigs and think you get the good from 2 different breeds and yes sometimes getting the bad as well, my pigs all 34 of them are from a variety of places and I take it that any pig I get from where ever is loved and adored till death, so am not against breeders like you, my main thing is the pigs are loved and cared for , in a brillaint world no animal will ever be sold by pet shops, and there would be npo need for rescues, but if we are totally honest thats not going to happen anytime soon ( wish it would), I have been given pigs from a lovley lady breeder she started me off on my love for Rexs, she only kept about 20 her and her young daughter show them and often win
she has a disabled son so they help her with her stress, she does'nt sell to pet shops rather giving them to responsible owners like me, I have kept pigs for over 30 plus years so maybe see things differently then most,
as long as you dont keep 100 pigs and deal with them horribly as a commodity rather then a loved pet then I dont have a problem, but do understand the others, worrys,
the typical breeder does breed them until they drop ( I've taken 10 from a breeder and they live their life happily with me until RB time) treat them badly not caring for them as a family pet just basically feeding and thats about it but you seem the opposite, so plese dont take it to heart we all love piggys and as long as you treat them well, we wont come along and steal them all from under your nose lol ;D

aww bless max my dog is always behind me when I'm in the sheds I know i only have to look out in the dark or day and he is sitting waiting for me mind you I need a torch as he is black and he is also very protective sitting with me when I have one indoors on my lap sniffing them and making them brrrrrr he loves it ,

how many others of you have pets like dogs that like and even get along with your piggys?

michellemuffin said:
how many others of you have pets like dogs that like and even get along with your piggys?

I have 2 rabbits that in turn have the run of the garden. Marmalade who is a 3/4 orange Rex will eat out of the dog bowls as the dogs are eating! My OH can call her from one end of the garden and she will come runing to him! The amount of times I have nearly stepped on her as she has a good sniff of my shoes!

Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back