• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Wicking problems

Spaniel

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Our newest pee pad size pieces of vet bed are already not wicking after just a few washes. This happens to everything we use - bed pads, bath mats, fleece and vet bed. Bath mats are the least worse but nothing does more than a day in the cage at the moment.

Sometimes we can get them semi-wicking again by washing them in vinegar but the same thing happens again quickly.

Tried so many different detergents already. Vinegar in the rinse. Nothing seems to help.

Wash at 60 degrees.

Any tips? Feels like no-one else has this problem :(

Do you have the green backed vet bed?
What absorbent layer do you use?

Do you have the green backed vet bed?
What absorbent layer do you use?

Yes, green backed. It worked great after the initial washes but then it just stopped working like everything else.

Absorbent layer is washable incontinence bed pads or just newspaper. They are wet so some moisture is going through but not enough because the surface is still damp. It’s needing a full change everyday at the moment.

It seems better when no detergent is used. Would just water at 60 degrees be clean enough? Tried so many detergents now.

Have other things here like bicarb, soda crystals.. even tempted to try washing up liquid or shampoo! White vinegar does better than detergent.

I have paper bedding to use but just feel guilty because the pigs are 4 and 5. Perry has mild arthritis.

It took me 5 goes to get new fleeces wicking properly. I washed them with non bio detergent, with no detergent, with vinegar in the conditioner bit of the drawer and with no vinegar. Eventually the new fleeces wicked.

Just don’t know why it sometimes works at the start and then stops again. Once it’s stopped I can’t usually get it back again.

Unless it’s the 60 degrees ruining it and stopping it wicking but it shouldn’t be should it?

Just don’t know why it sometimes works at the start and then stops again. Once it’s stopped I can’t usually get it back again.

Unless it’s the 60 degrees ruining it and stopping it wicking but it shouldn’t be should it?
I wick mine at 60 degrees.

Back