• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Wiebke's Tribe: Sows and the City Boars

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I have too many piggies to wanting to spam the forum with daily pictures (for that you can click on the Wiebke's Tribe facebook page link in my signature where I also share rescue stories and piggies from around the world) but I thought it might be interesting for you to keep abreast of any major Tribe developments!

So after losing over a quarter of my piggies last year (mostly thankfully to old age) and 20 piggies in all over the last three years, there has been an inevitable generational change and of course quite some group and pair juggling for bereaved or fallen-out companions in order to provide a stable relationship and make them happy again. Not always an easy task!

If you find out more about ALL my Tribe piggies in the signature, then please click on this link here: Wiebke's Tribe Photo Gallery

Here is an overview of who is living with who at the moment, so you can put faces to the Welsh names in my avatar.

Mererid & Morwenna
(nicknames: Merry and Menna)

DSC04121_edited-1.jpg
Sisters Mererid 'Margaret/Pearl' and Morwenna 'White Seas' are the last of their happy little piggy family that started with the baby sisters' arrival in Spring 2014 and also comprised of their litter sister Myfina 'My Little Lovely One' (RIP Christmas 2017), orphan Angharad 'Much Loved' (RIP April 2017) and their beloved daddy boar Bedo 'Little Splendid Lord' (RIP June 2018) as well as TEAS foster piggies Essylt/Jessica and her daughter Crisiant/Krystal (returned to the sanctuary in 2015). The Triplets were born at and adopted from TEAS sanctuary.

Here they are with their whole family in back 2015:
IMG_3000_edited-2.jpg

Since Bedo's death, Merry and Menna have refused to bond with any other piggies (not for lack of trying), but are very closely bonded.
Both sisters were spayed for medical reasons in 2019; they are turning 6 years old at the end of February.

Barri, Briallen & Llawen and Hapus & Heilin
(nicknames: Bria for Briallen)
DSC04271_edited-1.jpg
Barri 'Hill' managed to introduce himself to Briallen 'Primrose' when he squeezed through the divider in the bonding pen while I was answering the door bell in June 2017. But the two have shared a loving bond since his rather over-enthuasistic introduction!

Before her marriage with Barri, Briallen used to live with Carwyn 'Blessed Love' and Heini 'Lively' since her adoption in July 2015 and with very skittish sisters Hapus 'Happy' and Llawen 'Merry' (Autumn 2016). However in view of the enduring love affair between Carwyn and Heini (which continues at the Rainbow Bridge), Briallen was always the odd one out.
Photo from bonding Hapus and Llawen with Briallen, Carwyn and Heini on the right in 2016. The picture also is a good expression of Briallen's relationship...
DSCN4651_edited-1.jpg

Feuding and difficult sisters Hapus and Llawen (who have been rescued as babies from the worst possible circumstances) have been moving between Heini/Carwyn and Briallen/Barri a few times over the intervening three years, depending on how they were getting on with each other and their respective companions at the time.

After Heini's sudden and unexpected death in January, Llawen rejoined Barri, Briallen and Hapus, but eventually her feud with Hapus flared up again worse than ever. Llawen became unwelcome in the group, so I adopted young Heini lookalike Heilin 'Generous' for as a companion for Llawen.

Unfortunately that didn't work out, but thankfully Llawen was accepted back (initially rather grudgingly) by Barri and Briallen while Hapus moved out to live with Heilin instead after a failed attempt to wrestle the group leadership from Barri, so peace reigns again - hopefully for longer this time!
DSC04170_edited-2.jpg

Nothing like a proper piggy soap!

Gethin & Carys

IMG_9167_edited-1.jpg

Young 5 months old Gethin 'Dusky' fell in love with then 5 year old Tesni in 2016. The two lovebirds were joined in the following year by Tesni's bereaved sister Ffwlbri (they were the mother and auntie of Tegan, the little baby in my avatar, by the way). Tesni sadly passed away aged 7 years in April 2018.
IMG_6161_edited-2.jpg

Baby Carys joined Gethin and by then 7 1/2 years old Ffwlbri in order to make the inevitable transition easier for Gethin, given the large age difference. But her arrival did give old lady Ffwlbri a renewed zest for life, and she lived for nearly a year longer!
DSC03588_edited-1.jpg

However, Carys' presence has worked as hoped for Gethin, and the two are getting on well as a pair. Carys is growing into a proper peru diva, but Gethin is gentle and experienced enough to cope!

Carys is named in loving memory of two lilac and white long-haired sows of mine, Cariad (RIP 2014) and Calli (RIP 2018).
IMG_3585_edited-2.jpgIMG_5584_edited-4.jpg

To be continued...

All are so cute😭😍 they look so innocent in these photographs 😍

Gareth, Tegwen & Meleri
(nicknames: Teggy and Millie)

1578583850678.png

Gareth Rhonwellt 'Gentle Timothy' (named in honour of @Tim, who rescued his pregnant mum and on whose birthday he was born) and Teggy (Tegwen Draenog = 'Beautiful and blessed hedgehog', rescue name Mrs Tiggywinkle, Tiggy in short) have arrived here only a few weeks apart in summer 2017 and have been together since then. Babies Meleri (early Welsh saint's name) and her sister Miaren 'Bramble' joined them at the start of 2018. But the squabbling sisters parted ways when Miaren moved out on her own volition in January 2019.

Diffident Gareth and his two forceful wives have been a stable and pretty peaceful trio since.

Miaren & Llelo
(nickname: Mimi)
1578584173968.png

Llelo 'Little Llewelyn' (named in memory of the Tribe founding patriarch Llewelyn RIP 2011) and Miaren 'Bramble' are my two divorcees that found each other when Miaren managed to invade newly neutered (but thankfully safe) Llelo's pen in January 2019, found the real estate and the very courteous if somewhat bemused owner entirely to her taste and never moved out!

It has probably helped that both have a white and a ginger body side and that Llelo's mother was a black dutch... Very much a case of like was drawn to like!
IMG_9247_edited-1.jpg IMG_9254_edited-1.jpg

Newborn baby Llelo (on the left) with his mother and his two baby brothers; he was born here when I emergency holiday boarded a highly pregnant pet shop sow and her sister for a local lady in August/September 2018; the babies were born within 24 hours!
IMG_7744_edited-1.jpg

Dylan & Begw
(nickname: Dilly)
IMG_9244_edited-3.jpg

After Dylan, an ex-single with some social deficits, could no longer cope with gentle but not abjectly submissive teenager Llelo, tiny mis-sexed baby Begw ('Peggy/Little Pearl') arrived in the same rescue I'd adopted Dylan from half a year before at just the right time. Because she turned out to be girl upon arrival, she needed a suitable foster home asap; my luck - I could provide an instant forever home!
DSC03456_edited-2.jpg

Dylan was a wonderful daddy boar to both babies in turn. He shared Begw's mandatory quarantine before moving back into the piggy room in January 2019 with little Begw.

Tiny Begw (pronounced Beggoo) has never grown big, but she is feisty enough to stand up for herself. The two are however a very devoted pair and Dylan is not feeling threatened by her even when she is telling him off!

(to be continued)

Nye, Hyfryd & Hirael
(nicknames Hyfi and Hiri)
1578585940991.png

After the sudden death of his boarmate Nosgan 'Nightsong' in May 2019, cheerful and friendly Nye 'Noble' has been accepted by his previous neighbours, mother Hyfryd 'Lovely' and her rescue born daughter Hirael 'Long Brow' who were never interested in any other boar.
Nye was adopted in November 2016 and Hydryd and Hirael have joined the Tribe in March 2017.
IMG_6410_edited-1.jpg

Nothing like falling in love across the fence... :D

Breila and Cerian

1578585193461.png

Cerian 'Little Love' and Breila 'Briar Rose' are been adopted in November 2018 as a bonded pair of sows; and they are very closely bonded indeed! They are my only pair that share a hut at night. I travelled all the way to a rescue in East Kent to adopt them, but after having just lost both my charismatic boars Bedo and Carwyn and missing them so much, I just couldn't resist...
Cerian is named in memory of Ceri (RIP 2014), whose successor Carwyn was (RIP 2018).
IMG_5097_edited-4.jpgDSCN2625_edited-2.jpg
IMG_4156_edited-2.jpg

Otherwise gentle Breila is very much afraid of other piggies and has a bad habit at lunging at them, so any bonding attempts with a group or a neutered boar have not been successful - but as they are very happy as they as are that is not a problem!

Beryn and Betsan

1578585795249.png

It took one and a half years and many failed intros to get dumped human orientated ex-single Beryn 'Candytuft' (adopted in September 2017) to be ready to live with another piggy!

Betsan 'Betsy' (previous name Boots) is the very submissive but vocal last survivor of a large sow local group whose long term owner has now stopped keeping guinea pigs. Betsan herself joined the group as a second-hand piggy.

Beryn and Betsan have been together after a gradual bonding in several sessions that stopped whenever Beryn went on overload since February 2019. They are a closely bonded pair although Beryn still has her occasional moments!

Pioden and Dryw

1578586374564.png

Fast growing baby Dryw 'Wren' has become Pioden's 'Magpie' latest wife at the end of August since he was losing all his 4 Tribe wives over the course of one year. Deja vu for poor Pioden, who was in turn Maelog's successor as husboar to the group in March 2017.
IMG_5141_edited-1.jpg

Dryw's presence has helped to bolster the impending loss of Pioden's last wife, Hedydd, in October. Her name is pronounced Dree-oo.
Pioden had unfortunately proved a bit too large and too rampant for my other Tribe sows' taste.

Dryw however has plenty of abytude to stand up to Pioden and is not fazed by his size!

Since Dryw has been born and fostered by @Flutterby for The Potteries Guinea Pig Rescue, she has her own thread: Dryw/Wren's updates thread

Alan and Brathlys
(Dally and Lissie)
1578587048048.png

Alan and Brathlys 'Scarlet Pimpernel' have bonded just before Christmas 2019 after a long and gradual introduction with several weeks of living alongside in a divided cage to allow Brathlys to work through her considerable fear-agression issues. Brathlys arrived in August as my latest 'project' piggy and Alan in October 2019.
(Note to myself: do not mention any preferences in breed or colouring on any rescue piggies' threads or they may come up with the perfect stuck in rescue problem piggy for you and deliver it across half the country on their way to their holiday... :D )

Thankfully Alan was gentle and patient enough, and the spark between them was always there, so it was mostly a matter of being patient and persisting - but at Brathlys's own speed and need. The two happen to be a similar age and will hopefully grow old together.

Alan reminds me of my beloved and much missed master diplomat Terfel (RIP 2015) and Brathlys is a combination of my squishy golden Hafina (RIP 2011) and ginger TEAS foster Essylt/Jessica (returned to rescue in 2015).

PS: If you want to find out more about my various past and present Tribe piggies that are listed in my signature, you can do that in the photo albums on Wiebke's Tribe facebook page. Just click on the link in my signature!

Very beautiful and handsome piggies! They look so wonderful and lucky to have an amazing owner! :love::love::love::drool:

Sooo gorgeous😍 Loving their Welsh names too. I suggested Seren and Esyllt ours as they are pretty names for pretty girls, but my son insisted on Isabelle and Truffle

I have made the best of some decent daylight (which has been in rather short supply over the last months) for another photoshoot with Cerian and Breila. They are a very quiet but very closely bonded pair of sows.

Breila is one of my sterile cystitis (IC) piggies; unfortunately the UTI she's been treated for at the rescue did come back... and back... and back... We have been through the formal elimination process even though I was pretty sure from the first flare-up as to what I was dealing with - not for the first time!

DSC04378_edited-1.jpg DSC04342_edited-1.jpg
DSC04376_edited-1.jpg

DSC04374_edited-1.jpg

Back