Wilbur and Oscar

hayroque

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Been a really hard few weeks trying to decide what was best, and I've now got a lot of health anxiety about Wilbur after how he lost his brother. But we're now 100% on keeping him and he's going to a rescue for a few days to find a friend next week!
We decided we'd be happier neutering a younger boar (1-2 years) than him right now after all the stress he's already had, hoping it won't be a baby because Ozzy and Wilbur as teenagers were bad enough!
Wanted to post some photos of the little guys, trying to think back on the 3 years of happier moments instead of letting only the 2 weeks of bad memories ruin the time we had and my current relationship with Wilbur. He's started putting his social needs onto me now so its definitely the right time to find a friend. It's not on the verified list but he needs it and it's the smoothest route outside of pet shops. Ozzy was the grey-brown one and Wilbur's the brown and white, I love his front legs so much even if his nails on his stubby brown foot are a pain!

If there are any suggestions for de-scenting the cage I'd really appreciate it, I can't afford to start anew after all the vet bills and this adoption, but I'm wondering the best way to get the smell off all their things to bring the new boy into?

Attachments

• 20240119_231821.webp
    20240119_231821.webp
    27.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240119_231804.webp
    20240119_231804.webp
    51 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240119_231754.webp
    20240119_231754.webp
    28.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240115_225741.webp
    20240115_225741.webp
    27.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20221220_235241.webp
    20221220_235241.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 2
Sorry your post seemed to have been missed, how did you get on with the bonding?
Two lovely, cheeky boys you have there 😍

Give all fleece/fleece items a wash, and if you have any wooden items I would just wash them down with hot soapy water, or some pet safe disinfectant if you have. A lot of piggie owners recommend f-10.

Have a read of this guide, it may have some helpful tips! Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

I machine wash all the fleece items and everything else wiped down with F10. If it's a dry day I dry any wooden things outside, the fresh air helps to get rid of any scent as well. It's not really necessary but I have washed my grids in the bath and dried them outside, especially if they are looking a bit dusty.
Good luck at the rescue.

I should have said @hayroque all hidies/cage furniture should have 2 exits. Log tunnels or step stools are good to use or you can cut two holes in cardboard boxes.

Sorry your post seemed to have been missed, how did you get on with the bonding?
Two lovely, cheeky boys you have there 😍

Give all fleece/fleece items a wash, and if you have any wooden items I would just wash them down with hot soapy water, or some pet safe disinfectant if you have. A lot of piggie owners recommend f-10.

Have a read of this guide, it may have some helpful tips! Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
He'll be going on Friday if his vet visits go well!

Good luck for Friday, I hope everything goes really well and he comes home with a new buddy 🤞

Back