• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Wild plants for guineas

Status
Not open for further replies.

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am lucky to have a nature reserve 5 mins form my house plenty of dandelions there, which the gang love, but have noticed things like plantain and other plants there. Anyone know of a guide to which are guinea pig friendly?

Shame theres not much grass there but they so love fresh foods, think il go further into the reserve tonight get some fresh foods. Will seem weird not taking Jed for his walk there.

Alison

Daisies and clover are fine.
Avoid buttercup like the plague.

Somewhere on the forum (in food I think) there is a very comprehensive list.

if you drop me a pm with your email address i can email you as i have a list of wild plants that are ok. i also have pictures of them too too.

when i moved to my current house my back lawn was covered in weeds (in fact it still is) so i set about finding out safe weeds and also googling pictures to make sure i let them eat the ones that are ok. the list is in microsoft word and the pictures are in microsoft publisher.

Thanks will do! Ive been looking for the shopping lists on here but cant find them?

Thank you. That's a great start. However I was hoping for a more concise list.

I live next to a great area of woodland that would be excellent for foraging food for guineas. In particular wild garlic is very plentiful both there and around my garden so it is something I would like to be able to feed them if it is safe. Along with anything else that is safe, and that they will enjoy.

I meant the leaves of the wild garlic plant by the way. I am pretty certain they won't be too fond of the bulbs :)

Anything of the onion family should be avoided - that includes spring onions and wild garlic.

My vet who keeps guinea pigs herself told me about this site that she uses that shows you pictures of the weeds and what to pick, it is a site for tortoises, but they are herbivors too.http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/site/Edible_Weeds.html

That's a great site, but it lists bindweed which I'm pretty sure guinea-pigs can't eat (I know rabbits can't).

Some weeds which I know are edible for guinea-pigs are:

Dandelions
Plantain
Coltsfoot
Clover
Shepherd's purse
Sow (soft) thistles
Dead nettles
Goose grass
Yarrow
Rosehips (Not available now but worth picking in the summer because they're packed full of Vitamin C.)

There's also cow parsley but it can be difficult to differentiate from hemlock which is poisonous; hemlock has an offensive, mousey smell when bruised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back