Will he be lonely?

Piggypants21

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi piggy lovers it's me again 🤦‍♀️ Okay so after separating my boys over 3 weeks ago i now have a terrible cage biter and I'm talking literally morning,noon and night and not just nibbling but really pulling so it sounds like his cage is going to fall to bits. Now with the great advice from people off here i have lined the inside of his cage with plain strong cardboard using zip ties ( no tape or glue) involved. My only worry now though is he can't see his brother in the cage next to him so will this affect him at all? He can still ear him and talk but i feel like he's shut off from us (their in my bedroom) because we can't see him proper due to the cardboard. I wanted to rearrange the cages so they can see each other again but wanted the cage biting to stop first because I'm worried he will just start biting the side that his brothers on instead.
Would maybe a stuffed build a bear help or something? (I have 2 small spare ones) just don't want him to feel lonely or left out even though he seems happy enough.
Thank you again.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
They can still interact even though they can’t completely see each other (sight isn’t a piggy’s strongest sense in any event), so he won’t be lonely. It may be that in time you can remove the cardboard barrier.
A teddy bear won’t provide any interaction so it won’t stop the biting (he could also chew it and cause problems)

Piggypants21

New Born Pup
Reaction score
They can still interact even though they can’t completely see each other (sight isn’t a piggy’s strongest sense in any event), so he won’t be lonely. It may be that in time you can remove the cardboard barrier.
A teddy bear won’t provide any interaction so it won’t stop the biting (he could also chew it and cause problems)
Well that's what I'm hoping for because i hate having the cardboard there anyway plus he has started chewing on that now so won't be long till he gets through to the bars again. I'll leave the teddy then and just let them stay side by side.
Thank you for your feedback and fingers crossed the bar biting will be a passing phase 🤞🤞

Reaction score
Hi! I was wondering, did the cage biting stopped after a while? I am having the same issues with by Boar

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hi! I was wondering, did the cage biting stopped after a while? I am having the same issues with by Boar
I thought from your other posts that you had bonded your two piggies? If they are living together now ( once piggies have been put together for introduction and have a functioning relationship, then they should remain together and not be separated again) then bar biting won’t be because he is trying to get to another separated piggy but there are other reasons why bar biting occurs

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My piggie is a cage biter. Maybe get some wood chews? I hung some wood chews in the area he chewed and it stopped. He mostly does it because he wants attention or food!

Piggypants21

New Born Pup
Reaction score
No it did not stop and it has been really bad over the weekend so today i have surprisingly managed to find room in my spare room for 2 seperate cages. I'm just hoping they settle okay which I'm sure they will because I'm only next door and always pop in for floor time.

Piggypants21

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I thought from your other posts that you had bonded your two piggies? If they are living together now ( once piggies have been put together for introduction and have a functioning relationship, then they should remain together and not be separated again) then bar biting won’t be because he is trying to get to another separated piggy but there are other reasons why bar biting occurs
No they are still seperate and have been for around 6 weeks now. They drew blood during their first fall out so i separated them for around 7 days then did the re introduction on neutral ground with everything else i needed (i read up on it and got all the advise i could) but unfortunately that didn't work either. I sat for around 4 hours wearing oven gloves but again a small amount of blood was drawn (i wasn't quick enough) and the eldest boy ended up with a small bite under his front leg.
They have had no contact since apart from through the bars because they have separate floor time and lap time aswel which is harder work for me but their worth it so don't mind.
I'm out of ideas of what may be causing it because he has everything he needs and his teeth are fine (had them checked) and he always gets around 3 hours of floor time a day. 1 before work, 1 after work and 1 before bed to tire him out. His brother gets exactly the same so that's 6 hours a day i spend with them playing and interacting but nothing seems to work. I've moved them into the spare room today though because the lack of sleep me and my partner is getting is ridiculous and it's affecting our everyday life 😴😴
They both seem okay so far and I'm only next door and keep popping in to check on them so I'm hoping they will settle proper soon. Hate not being able to see them all the time but i was out of ideas and their cages are again next to each other so they can still chat through the bars all day and night.

Piggypants21

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My piggie is a cage biter. Maybe get some wood chews? I hung some wood chews in the area he chewed and it stopped. He mostly does it because he wants attention or food!
He has loads of wooden blocks and play toys and i bought even more yesterday. I rotate his toys so he doesn't get bored of them but nothing seems to work. I have literally tried everything even all the non toxic sprays especially for guinea pigs but he seems to like them 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️