• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Will hormonal hair loss grow back?

Dilly's Piggies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, my nearly 4 year old sow Dolly had ovarian cysts and was just successfully spayed 5 days ago, she has quite a large amount of hair loss on her flanks, chest, chin and belly and also a general thinning of the hair all over.

I just want to ask if this missing hair will grow back? She also has a random bald patch on her forehead, is this from hormones too? I haven't heard of it happening in this spot before.

Thanks!

Hi, my nearly 4 year old sow Dolly had ovarian cysts and was just successfully spayed 5 days ago, she has quite a large amount of hair loss on her flanks, chest, chin and belly and also a general thinning of the hair all over.

I just want to ask if this missing hair will grow back? She also has a random bald patch on her forehead, is this from hormones too? I haven't heard of it happening in this spot before.

Thanks!

Hi

The hair will grow back once the hormonal issue has been sorted. Hormonal hair loss affects the sides onto the belly sometimes. ;)

The forehead and all over thinning hair loss is not related to ovarian cysts and may have another cause. Please have her checked through by a vet. (Cushings? Rare but can affect guinea pigs, too. Typical for it is irregular hair loss around the body and loss of weight).

Hi

The hair will grow back once the hormonal issue has been sorted. ;)
The forehead is an unrelated issue.
Oh... the vet looked at it and said its nothing to worry about, but she used to have a lovely luscious mohawk then the hair just disappeared. She's a lunkarya piggie, still beautiful to me anyway but I hoped maybe it was related to the cysts :mal: Thanks Wiebke you're always so helpful 😊

Oh... the vet looked at it and said its nothing to worry about, but she used to have a lovely luscious mohawk then the hair just disappeared. She's a lunkarya piggie, still beautiful to me anyway but I hoped maybe it was related to the cysts :mal: Thanks Wiebke you're always so helpful 😊

All the best. Keep an eye on the hair loss and see how it develops.

You may want to take pictures now to have a comparison/reference base in case you need to see a vet again.

Both Jemimah and Phoebe had fur loss due to ovarian cysts.
The fur grew back after the spays.
Hope Dolly recovers well from her op.

I had my Bella spayed last November due to ovarian cysts and she had very sparse fur too. It’s now growing back well and she’s starting to look like her old self again, though that means extra squeaking when grooming as if I’m murdering her!

Back