• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Will My Sows Ever Snuggle Together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishybat

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i have Truffle and Kola and they have both turned a year now. They seem to be friends but never snuggle together. When they are in season they have a few tussles but not nasty. Truffle is boss but they happily eat together. They are in our lounge and interact with me when they want anything. A loud wheek stood by the hay rack is fill it now. They tolerate lap time but would rather be fussed in their run or cage. They know their names.
Truffle is 4 weeks older than Kola and came to us with Peachy who sadly died within 3 weeks as she had been syringe fed and her lungs were poorly. We got Kola within days of Peachy passing while Truffle was only 9 weeks. They bonded well in that they did not fight and shared the food.

I think Kola would snuggle Truffle but Truffle always gently nips if Kola tries.
Will they ever snuggle? Is it unusual for them not too? Are they happy together? Does anyone else's sleep separate?

It is pretty common for some piggies to come with larger private zone than others. Not all piggies are snuggle-uppers. That doesn't mean that they can't be best of friends and closely bonded. ;)

That's good to know. They seem friends but I thought all piggies snuggled if best friends. Thank you for the reply.

None of my girls have ever snuggled. The current sow pair are devoted to each other but sleep in separate hideys even though there is room for 2 in the hideys. My sow and neutered boar pair sleep very near each other (he drags his bed to wherever she is) but they never share the same house or hidey. Not all piggies like to snuggle up.

Not all pigs are snugglers. I've had pairs that were quite devoted to each other but still did not cuddle up. Other pairs have cuddled up only under certain circumstances (i.e. when they're spooked.) My current pair will sleep in the same pigloo at night, but not in the daytime. My previous dominant pig, Linney, was not a snuggler. She was far too important for that, apparently! She was very much the queen and above such things! LOL! She would tolerate another pig close to her if there was some sort of scary upset going on around them, but sleep in Linney's pigloo with her on an average day? Not gonna happen!

Thank you everyone. This is very reassuring. Friends have said to me that they should snuggle if well bonded. I thought it was because Truffle had lost Peachy and was not excepting Kola. Truffle is very much the Queen and what you have all said makes a lot of sense. Thank you for your knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back