• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Will people ever learn? overloaded with guinea pigs again

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sgprescue

I have lost count of the number of times this year I have had to take large groups of pigs from people who have brought 2 and not realised how quickly they will breed. Back in January I removed a number of males and pregnant females from a home resulting in a total of more than 50 guinea pigs. A couple of days ago I had a call from a lady who had brought 2 females, then had a male given to her and thought it would be great for them all to live together. She had already given lots away before phoning me, again not realising how quickly they breed. I went to pick them all up yesterday and came away with 14 guinea pigs. There are 4 males, 3 baby females, 2 very heavily pregnant females and another 5 females that are more than likely pregnant.
I am sure you will all agree that information should be more widely available to members of the public regarding the age guinea pigs become sexually mature.
I already took in 6 guinea pigs at the beginning of the week, this lot have sent me over my limit yet again :o
They all have mange mites and that now makes a grand total of 11 pregnant sows here at the moment :-X
Here are some pics from yesterday

The 4 baby boys
DSCN3877Correction.jpg

4 of the females
DSCN3884.jpg

and the filth in the cage they were living in >:(
DSCN3885.jpg

3 tiny baby females, 2 very heavily pregnant females and 1 pregnant female
DSCN3881Correction.jpg

settled into a nice clean hutch 8)
DSCN3883.jpg

Cheryl
Sprowston guinea pig rescue

sgprescue said:
I am sure you will all agree that information should be more widely available to members of the public regarding the age guinea pigs become sexually mature.
Cheryl
Sprowston guinea pig rescue
Definitely! but surely EVERYONE knows a boy + a girl = babies, there really is no excuse!
It goes right across the board with all animals;then people like yourself have the task of looking after their "experiments/mistakes" and the state of that cage, well ............. words fail me!
Now i've sounded off, i'm off to my bed before i self combust :o

If only people knew better but think about it even humans don't know better they continue to have kids even though they can't afford it.. makes you wonder sometimes.

Those are some seriously pregnant females. They look like they could pop any day now. Good luck. Sorry I live so very very far away so I can't help you any.. Good luck!

It just makes my blood boil when people let things get out of hand like this. There is just no excuse for it!

The piggies look so happy in their nice clean hutch - don't even get me started on their old cages though!

If there is anything we can do to help let us know Cheryl.

Good Lord those poor piggies. Some people want shooting. That cage is in an awful state. There's no excuse for it. I've had my cage for over a year and there isn't one wee stain!
Thank goodness there are people like you around Cheryl. I really wish I could take some off your hands.

Very sad to think there are many more pigs living like this too and that right now many more breeding pairs are being purchased by people who dont know what they are doing... the ones that end up in rescue are the lucky ones as they get a second chance. Well done Cheryl... beautiful pigggys

Following a pm I just received can I just clarify that these pigs will not be available for adoption until they have had their babies and they are weaned. I do not let people adopt pregnant sows ;)

Hi Cheryl,

Pignap alert! You've got some stunning pigs there, especially the gold / red ones.......swoon!

It's sad that the piggies end up in this situation through no fault of their own. The only way is to try and educate people as you are doing. Unfortuantely most of the piggy books say separate at 6 weeks, which is what they do, and then end up with the patter of tiny feet. That aside, there is no excuse for keeping pigs in dirty cages - poor pigs must be so glad to be in clean and dry conditions now. At least they look healthy and bright.

It was lovely to meet you last weekend and I hope your parcel arrived safely :)

Chrissie & 11 Gorgeous Guineas

There really is no excuse frm people leaving them in a state like that. And of course, don't they understand how piggies get pregnant? ?

May be able to help you out when rehoming them, as the shed is underway and being sorted. :)

gorgeousguineas said:
Hi Cheryl,

Pignap alert! You've got some stunning pigs there, especially the gold / red ones.......swoon!

It's sad that the piggies end up in this situation through no fault of their own. The only way is to try and educate people as you are doing. Unfortuantely most of the piggy books say separate at 6 weeks, which is what they do, and then end up with the patter of tiny feet. That aside, there is no excuse for keeping pigs in dirty cages - poor pigs must be so glad to be in clean and dry conditions now. At least they look healthy and bright.

It was lovely to meet you last weekend and I hope your parcel arrived safely :)

Chrissie & 11 Gorgeous Guineas

Hi Chrissie, it was good to finally meet you at last aswell 8). Thank you sending out the soaks so quickly, I will let you know how I get on with the new one :)

One of the other pregnant sows I had here gave birth this afternoon to 5 babies. Sadly she didnt clean the sacks off of 4 of them. I found them just a few minutes after they were born and me and my dad did our best to revive them but it just wasnt meant to be :'(

Cheryl

I'm really sorry to hear about the bubs :'(

All the guinea pigs are so beautiful, dont know how anyone could let the problem get that bad!

Awwww Cheryl that's such sad news :'( well done you and your dad for trying, as you say, it wasn't meant to be (no consolation i know) :(

I think that sadly people just don't care, they see a guinea-pig as just something else to own, and don't look at it from the animal's point of view. I've lost count of the times when I've told people I take in guineas & they relate some story about when they bought 2 from a pet shop and ended up with 25 or so. It's not rocket science what happens! But when it's a friend you're talking to it's difficult to say too much! Sounds like you're doing a great job. I know you don't re-home pregnant ones but I've never had the pleasure of babies & am hoping a local rescue centre will let me have one so I can keep all the babies

awww I'm so sorry some of the babies died :( It sounds like you did your best for them... Some things aren't meant to be :(

It makes me angry when people abandon any of their animals like they do... :( When i was little, I was never allowed a pet until I could prove I could look after it and wouldn't just leave it all to mum and dad... and even now.. when I got the girls, I made sure we had room, we had the money and we could give them a life they deserved...

Grrrrr makes me angry :'( :'(

I have total respect for people like you though, who take them in, look after them and try and find them good homes...

I must admit, now I have been reading this site for the past few months, it has opened my eyes to soo much stuff, and I think if I ever get any piggies again, it will defiantly be rescue ones... I'd love to know I was giving something a nice home....

x

sgprescue said:
One of the other pregnant sows I had here gave birth this afternoon to 5 babies. Sadly she didnt clean the sacks off of 4 of them. I found them just a few minutes after they were born and me and my dad did our best to revive them but it just wasnt meant to be :'(

That is so sad. :( I cannot believe how anybody on this earth could do this to any living creature. That cage is absolutley awful! I just wish that harsher punishments were enforced on people who abuse any animal like this!

I am so glad that you have got them now and not being left in these horrible conditions!

Well I have good news today. The white piggy gave birth to 4 gorgeous healthy babies overnight. All alive and well :)

Very sorry to hear about the liitle ones yesterday :( How is the mum doing? Better news today though.......you'll be surrounded by little ones soon!

Chrissie

I admit that I have a boy and girl gp together - I did the sensible thing though and had Freddy 'sorted' so no baby Freddy/Flo's. If people want two pigs together they really should have two girls as yes, they do need company but I don't think they want the giving birth several times a year side of the relationship.

Some people should be banned from having animals.... >:(

I agree with Sweetedge - if/when I get any more pigs I will be getting them from a rescue centre - there's too many of these gorgeous loving creatures that get abused and dumped :(

Cheryl,

Well done for coming to the rescue of those poor pigs. They are very lucky.

Unfortunately the missinformation about at what age guinea pigs can breed is wide spread. When the first of the girl pigs i rescued had her baby boy i rang the local RSPCA centre to be told that they would not take him for re homing till he was 8 weeks old and that he would be fine with his mum till then! Yes right ;D. Luckily i had already spoken to a lady at our local rabbit and pig rescue centre and had read up on the internet. So i knew that they could mate much earlier.

I took the baby away from mum at 4 weeks by this stage he was weened and was already showing an 'interest' in his mum and the other femail pig!

Ended up keeping him and the other babies as couldn't bare to let them go especially to somewhere that didn't know the proper care of pigs.

DSC00164.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back