• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Will Piggies Be Sad Or Forget Us?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PammyRay

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We've got a 3 week holiday on the horizon and my parents have kindly agreed to take Macky and Pickle when the time comes. I'm not worried about their care but I do wonder if they will think we have deserted them and/or that they might forget us?! I don't know how long piggies' memories are so I'm not sure if its possible they may not recognise us but also we adopted them from a rescue and so they have already lost at least one set of owners, so I worry they make think we have given them up too?! :no:
We have such a good bond with our two, they come when they're called, they stand up for food and do 'paw' on our hands when they want to be picked up and in the evenings when they're running around on the rug (with a fleece and loo corner down) they come and climb on our feet when they want a cuddle and if one of us leaves they chase after us. Since Mac's op a few days ago they are even tamer and more loving. I hope a break won't upset them. Is there anything we can do?!

Aww that all sounds so lovely. I'm afraid I can't help but just to let you know I would feel just the same. If I don't cuddle my piggies for one day I worry they think I don't love them and they feel unloved and unwanted. I hope someone else can help soon

I left my boys at my son's house for a whole month while on holiday in New Zealand. They certainly remembered me & my house guest of the time who had already been staying at my house for a month & went on holiday with me. They were also very familiar with my son & his family, having had plenty of contact with them. I think piggy memories are very good actually.

We've left them with my parents for two weeks while going on vacation, and they certainly remembered us when we came back. They also were plainly quite happy to be 'home' when we moved them back to their usual spot. My mom said they were much more skittish at her house because they clearly knew they were in an unfamiliar place. So I do think they will remember you when you get back! We go back and forth the cottage all summer, and it's funny how they have a 'home routine' and a 'cottage routine.' They clearly know where they are and modify their behavior accordingly!

I left my boys at my son's house for a whole month while on holiday in New Zealand. They certainly remembered me & my house guest of the time who had already been staying at my house for a month & went on holiday with me. They were also very familiar with my son & his family, having had plenty of contact with them. I think piggy memories are very good actually.

Funny, that's where I'm going, NZ and a bit of OZ. I'm very reassured by your experience, I'm pretty sure ours shouldn't forget us but I'm easily worried! :) thanks x

We've left them with my parents for two weeks while going on vacation, and they certainly remembered us when we came back. They also were plainly quite happy to be 'home' when we moved them back to their usual spot. My mom said they were much more skittish at her house because they clearly knew they were in an unfamiliar place. So I do think they will remember you when you get back! We go back and forth the cottage all summer, and it's funny how they have a 'home routine' and a 'cottage routine.' They clearly know where they are and modify their behavior accordingly!

very good to know they know where they are, be interesting to see if their behavior changes. They've been to my parents before at Christmas so it won't be unfamiliar to them at least. Also give them a bit of 'grand parent' bonding time! Thanks, feel a lot happier about the situation now x:)

I've been on holiday for a month roughly and I left my piggies at home.
They definitely recognized me when I came home as they all looked up when they heard my voice and ran over. Mum also told me a time when I was away for 4 days that when she phoned me and had me on loudspeaker they were popcorning around the cage in excitement. But I didn't show up of course. They gave me the cold shoulder when I eventually did get home. I think they felt I teased them by not coming when they heard my voice :))

Guinea pigs have a very good memory!

They may not greet necessarily greet you with enthusiasm upon your return (sometimes you can even be put into the naughty corner for abandoning them), but my Caron still remembers me over a year on in her new home and listens attentively whenever I am on the phone and she is very relaxed on those occasions I can visit her - both not usual behaviours for her. But they know you and your voice straight away, don't doubt that!

When I had to put Ginny into boarding (before the girls wasn't there and he wasn't neutered) when I came back, he kinda just walked around during floor time and ignored me a little. After a day he was back to normal. They should be fine. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back