• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Will she need some pain relief meds after op?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sodapops

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there,
wondered if i could have some advice.

My little girl JJ went in for a mass removal op today (that is being sent off for a biopsy as they couldn't remove the whole lump due to it being too far down in the ear canal).

She was eating and pooping fine at the hospital - hence why she was able to come home - she's had some dill, piece of pepper, hay and fresh grass - but she's deffo not herself (very quiet and looking very scared)

She's on 0.2ml of baytril for the next week (her first dose not to be given until tomorrow morning) - but can she have some pain relief as well such as Calpol or nurofen?

I'm out at the doctors myself tomorrow morning so can pick some up if needed.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. :)

Midge&Panda

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When ever my girls have had an op ther're usually given a long lasting pain killer at the time. I'm presuming the vet didn't say anything when you picked JJ up. It might be worth checking before giving her anything tomorrow or explain to the vet and see if they can give you something more specific to piggies. xx

CrawleyGuineaPigRescue

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
some piggies take a while to bounce back from a general anaesthetic, sometimes it can be a couple of days or longer. Usually a vets will of given them a metacam injection lasting 24 hours but do ask before self medicating.
Main thing is to keep them warm but not too warm, just indoors, change bedding often, if need be, make up a bit of syringe food to rehydrate....I do cucumber, softened pellets, water and a herb blended together to make a watery soup to syringe every 2-3 hours. if you notice any swelling at the wound site that gets worse let the vet know asap as well.

Reaction score
I always give my post op piggies some analgesia for 2 days. They have analgesia on the day so i start on day two. 0.2ml paracetamol once daily i also give metacam dose dependent on weight. I usually buy calpol as they like the taste too ! I work in theatres and know how painful ops can be !x

Sodapops

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies :)

She appears to be eating as ive moved all her food to the ground level (i didn't think her trying to go up/down ramps a very good idea) and so ive made her food as accessible as possible.

She's very jumpy atm - all she's doing is sitting at the back of the cage - and the two times ive seen her in the kiddle of the cage, the moment she hear/see's me she runs a mile - which is so not like her. She a very food orientated piggie and loves her veg and fresh grass - but today ive had to bring her grass to her and leave the veggies in her cage in hopes she'll eat them if I'm not around. She's on baytril - but this doesn't start until tomorrow morning - ive got some Avipro so will give this along side it.

I did have a quick peek at her ear when she came home (i didn't want to muck her around too much so it literally was a quick peek) and it looked quite swollen anyhow - but i guess it would, if you could have seen her ear this morning it looked 100 times worse

She was 99% litter trained - but because her litter tray is on the second level of her cage she's not used it - so there are plenty of poops down the bottom (can only presume these are hers as normally the cage is pretty much spotless - i know her daughter does her poops in the corners of the cage)

I'll see how she goes and will contact the vets if i think she's in any pain. One good thing is every bit of food ive offered to her she's taken and eaten - it's just she's so scared :( It's a bit like having a baby piggie in the house :(

Reaction score
after an op I prefer to be on the safe side in case they are in discomfort and always ask for mild/mid pain relief like metacam, I would ring your vet and ask about it xo

Status
Not open for further replies.