Will they be ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm going to my parents tomorrow till the morning of the 27th.

I can't take our piggies :( but my Dad is going to pop me home (we live 10mins away by car) on Boxing day to feed them and stock up on there hay.

I plan on putting in extra food and veg, stack loads of extra hay and make sure they have a full bottle of water. They will be ok for a day won't they? I Will be home the day after boxing day in time when I usually feed them, I just feel bad leaving them for a day and that they won't be ok.

Can someone please put my mind at rest?

ETA- I worry about the hay situation as they scoff so much in one day, I worry that if they eat the extra I put in they will run out before even before Christmas day lol.

MommaPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Don't you have a friend or someone who could have them for a few days?

24th til the 27th seems like a really long time, even though you're going to pop back.
I couldn't do it, I know that, especially with the weather the way it is, you could end up stranded or something and that's big trouble!

There's no way you can talk your family into letting the pigs come, too?

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
oh gosh, personally i think that might be too long, wont the vegs go mushy?

I think you would have to leave the whole bag of hay and hope they are ok, maybe dot it around the cage?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I would think that three days is too long! Veg will go off and bottles will need to be refilled. I have never left my piggies on their own for longer than 24 hours in an emergency and try to arrange twice daily visits when we are away for longer.

Why can't your dad just pop you round once a day of it is only 10 minutes away? For the sake of your piggies and the peace of you mind?

If he's unwilling, you just keep on fretting about how your piggies are doing in your parents' hearing until they give in! :))

daleksarah

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i also think this is too long its nearly 4 days!could you get a neighbour to pop in?or talk your dad into leting them go too-they could stay in a temporary cage/box or ask a friend if they could stay at theirs.if you were nearer id offer

Reaction score
No I don't have anyone who can have them or can pop round to feed them for me. Its only going to be for one day, I will be back over early Boxing Day morning to feed them again and then home on the Monday morning.

So its just Christmas Day that I won't be able to check on them. I'm sure they will be ok. I doubt I will get stranded and even if I did I would walk home and leave my Daughter at my parents. Might take me over a hour but I would make sure I get back home to them if the worst happens.

My parents wanted me to come today but I said no as I refuse to leave them 2 days without having there food topped up. Leaving them for 1 day is making me feel guilty enough.

MerryPip

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They should be fine. My boys don't mind the odd day or so on their own as long as I stack them up with hay and veggies that don't spoil easily like carrotts that they can much on when they feel like it.

I just always make sure top up their dry food loads too and perhaps feed them a little more than usual in the few days leading up to it.

This year though my boys are coming with me for christmas ( I don't usually leave them home alone!) as they are old lads now and Pippy is needing top up syringe feeds as his weight is getting lower (he has a tumour).

They should be fine. Just leave the heating on!

Reaction score
First I am not leaving them for 4 whole days with NO food.

I'm going to my Mums late afternoon on Christmas Eve, where I plan to add extra food, extra veg and hay before I leave.

Christmas Day is the only day I cannot get back to them.

Boxing Day my Dad is bringing me home to feed them etc and then I'm going back to my parents and then come home the next morning.

Reaction score
They should be fine. My boys don't mind the odd day or so on their own as long as I stack them up with hay and veggies that don't spoil easily like carrotts that they can much on when they feel like it.

I just always make sure top up their dry food loads too and perhaps feed them a little more than usual in the few days leading up to it.

This year though my boys are coming with me for christmas ( I don't usually leave them home alone!) as they are old lads now and Pippy is needing top up syringe feeds as his weight is getting lower (he has a tumour).

They should be fine. Just leave the heating on!

Oh of course the heating will be on, I don't want to come home to a cold house either.

My two are little porkers so fingers crossed for 24 hours they will be ok.

MerryPip

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That sounds sensible. I wouldn't feel guilty. I think they will be just fine.

To be honest Christmas can be really noisy and stressful for pets so peace and quiet may be no bad thing.

Hope it all goes ok.

Reaction score
That sounds sensible. I wouldn't feel guilty. I think they will be just fine.

To be honest Christmas can be really noisy and stressful for pets so peace and quiet may be no bad thing.

Hope it all goes ok.

I think they will enjoy the peace and quiet for once too lol.

Cgilchrist

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think they will be ok you are not leaving them til late on friday and will be back sunday am. maybe get an extra water bottle just in case? :)

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry hon, i think i misread your post, i think others have too, it sounded like longer, I'm sure they will be fine for this long.

Cat&ThePiggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Don't feel guilty, they'll be ok. The noise and chaos of Christmas day would probably be worse for them. I occasionally have to leave my piggies for 24 hours or more on their own. I just make sure they have plenty of hay, dried food, veg and water. Also, I make a fuss of them before I leave and when I get back......I think that's more for my own sake than theirs! They never seem too bothered about being left for a day.

Joey&Gizmo

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm sure they will be fine, just stock them up on hay and fill their bowls with dry food. As for the vegetables they should eat all their veg from their bowls and then go for the hay.

I wouldnt worry too much about veg for one day aslong as they have plenty of hay, water and some dry food you know they arent going to starve!
Maybe you could add extra hay racks if you have any or stuff toilet rolls with hay and hang them from the cage? Make sure to cut down the middle of the toilet rolls so the pigs dont get stuck if they try and go thorough them like a tunnel. :)

I'm sure they will like the peace and quite!

Status
Not open for further replies.