• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Will they be warm enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
In the Summer I normally use woodshavings in my guinea-pigs hutches and vetbed in the winter. I don't use the vetbed in the Summer because it got very hot for my guinea-pigs feet. They are in a shed, which is not insulated but is warmer than outside for them. They are still on woodshavings now because I haven't got round to changing them onto vetbed just yet, but I am worried about them being cold. I know the vetbed is quite cosy for them but when they are on woodshavings I put loads of hay into the hutch and they just bury into it and sleep, as well as eat it. If they are on vetbed I'd rather they had a hay rack because hay on the vetbed is so hard to get off.
They have igloos and some beds I've made them but I still worry about them getting cold. Would they be ok without hay in the hutch? They would still have unlimited hay to eat but it would be in a hay rack. I also have 3 lone boars and I'm worried about them getting cold.

Thank you for reading :)

with them in a shed they would still need hay to sleep in, could you not fill a box with hay so they can go into the box and this will help keep it off the vet bed x

I agree, they need lots of hay - to eat and also burrow into to keep warm.

My boars are in a hutch in the shed at the moment. The top and side of the hutch are covered with a big scrap of carpet, plus blankets over the front to keep drafts out at night. Inside the hutch, I've used woodshavings/Megazorb plus loads of hay and I've also put a box filled with hay at one end of the hutch for one of the pigs (my boars don't snuggle in with each other) so whoever isn't in the bedroom also has a room of their own. Plus, importantly they both have a Snugglesafe pads - which I warm up three times a day - so they always have some warmth throughout the night and day. I've also covered the window of the hutch with bubble-wrap - it keeps some of the cold and draft out! Hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back