• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Willows Skin Patch Updates

Big Sky Piggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all!
After last weeks post about Willows bald patches, I was ressured to just keep an eye. They got worse and she gained another one so we booked an appointment at the vet. The bet took a hair sample and looked for mites, but couldn't find anything so thinks its fungal. Hair sample has been sent off to test for ringworm, and we are picking up a medicated shampoo tommorow.

This is where I need some advise! How do I bath a guinea pig? I've seen it done on the internet before, but what temperature, how deep, and is there any way to make it less stressful? Many thanks, A very Nervous piggie mum! 😬🤣

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all!
After last weeks post about Willows bald patches, I was ressured to just keep an eye. They got worse and she gained another one so we booked an appointment at the vet. The bet took a hair sample and looked for mites, but couldn't find anything so thinks its fungal. Hair sample has been sent off to test for ringworm, and we are picking up a medicated shampoo tommorow.

This is where I need some advise! How do I bath a guinea pig? I've seen it done on the internet before, but what temperature, how deep, and is there any way to make it less stressful? Many thanks, A very Nervous piggie mum! 😬🤣
Hi!

If it is ringworm (or any other form of fungal skin infection), then hygiene is of utmost importance or it will turn into a never ending saga. Please follow the advice in our very detailed, practical and comprehensive ringworm guide if you want to get on top of it once and for all. Please don't think that the advice is over the top; it isn't. We have had nearly 15 years on this forum to learn all the various ways fungal spores can be transmitted the hard way - and how to best address that issue.
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Here is our bathing guide with pictures and a video: Bathing (including cleaning grease glands)

All the best!

Big Sky Piggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

If it is ringworm (or any other form of fungal skin infection), then hygiene is of utmost importance or it will turn into a never ending saga. Please follow the advice in our very detailed, practical and comprehensive ringworm guide if you want to get on top of it once and for all. Please don't think that the advice is over the top; it isn't. We have had nearly 15 years on this forum to learn all the various ways fungal spores can be transmitted the hard way - and how to best address that issue.
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Here is our bathing guide with pictures and a video: Bathing (including cleaning grease glands)

All the best!
Thank you, I just had a good read through, I'll do exactly as it says. I hope Willow isnt too wiggly 😬🤞

Big Sky Piggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Just received the shampoo, vet said there isnt one for Guinea pigs and has given us Malaseb for cats and dogs. We are going to use a tiny amount and water it down. Vet says it will be fine, but has anyone used this shampoo on there guinea pig before? I'm quite nervous about it all 😬Screenshot_20200709-170657_Snapchat.jpg

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Just received the shampoo, vet said there isnt one for Guinea pigs and has given us Malaseb for cats and dogs. We are going to use a tiny amount and water it down. Vet says it will be fine, but has anyone used this shampoo on there guinea pig before? I'm quite nervous about it all 😬View attachment 147680
Hi!

Malaseb is safe to use with guinea pigs. It is one of the more effective shampoos against ringworm from the days before oral anti-fungal cat medication was found to be safe to give to guinea pigs, too. Please use as stated on the label.

Hannylou

New Born Pup
Reaction score
It lathers up ALOT ! I end up having to wash my GP afterwards as it doesn't come out easily