• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Willy Worms

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizzy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
knowledge is usful ! and could well save a pig.
Hover was weeking all night , it wasn't till I inspected his willy by rolling back his foreskin that l realised there was a rod of ejaculate lodged inside his willy.

If a boar wheeks , it would do no harm to check this as a matter of course , as if left unattended, it has the potentional to block the wee flow.

Last edited:
l just spoke to my vet about them , and acording to him , no one realy knows what cause them ,
there are many thereies ?

Glad I saw this earlier, just bought the boys in from grass time and noticed something sticking out of peanuts penis, pulled very gently expecting it to be a bit of hay but I think it was a sperm rod (milky opaque colour, rubbery?). Would have worried me if I hadn't seen this thread, thank you.

I don't know Kerrie, hopefully an expert will let us know. This was hanging out and I thought it was hay which I've seen and removed before, obviously pulling very very slowly and gently.

Sperm rods are not at all nice and can be very painful indeed. It may be better to have a big one removed by a vet, who can also check for signs of infection if they have been in there for long.
I would be good if you checked your boy's willies once a week for sperm rods and the build-up of smegma (i.e. a mixture shed skin, oil and moisture that can harden as well). Not a great job but necessary.

I give my boys a quick look most days when I move them for floor or grass time, eyes, ears, feet, dangly bits, most of the time they don't even know I'm doing it. Once a week (usually remember) when they are weighed they get a more thorough inspection and I get grumbled at. I hope this way I will be so familiar with them I'll know straight away if something is different.

I personally think we can do more harm than good by messing about with our boars willy. I have mainly boars and when I take them out I just flip them over, have a quick look in that area (not extruding the penis, unless there appears to be a problem). The penis is a delicate organ and there really is no need for people to go fiddling about with it

I do the same, just a quick look, no prodding or poking. So far I haven't had to remove anything, although last night I got my first experience of boar glue all over the back of Hugo! He's going to need a hair cut bless him!

I personally think we can do more harm than good by messing about with our boars willy. I have mainly boars and when I take them out I just flip them over, have a quick look in that area (not extruding the penis, unless there appears to be a problem). The penis is a delicate organ and there really is no need for people to go fiddling about with it

I totally agree, I've had a bit of hay protruding twice and now this very soft rubbery thing, if there had been the slightest squeak of protest when pulling very slowly they'd have been straight to the vet. I wouldn't retract the foreskin, if I felt that needed doing I'd get the vet to help. I've had boars in the past one lived just short of 9 and they never had a problem. Don't be put off boars, I had seen on this forum about them picking up hay in the penis (2008 I think) and regularly looked, never saw any until this unlucky pair. A really quick glance while handling them is worthwhile, that way you know what looks normal for your boys and spot change that needs further investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back