• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Womble's mysterious symptoms.

Kellykels

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have taken Womble the vet about 3-4 times now and he keeps getting the all clear. But he's still got the intermittent nodding and the intermittent sleep noises. Sometimes he sounds squeaky, sometimes he sounds raspy.

Generally when he's about and about and eating he seems fine, however he does do the nodding.

The vet we took him to is our routine vet and is telling us to keep nebulizing him. Maybe it's time to get the exotic vet involved.

The vet listened to his chest and said it sounded perfect....

I have no idea what to do. I've sent some videos to the vet but have trouble sharing them here due to the space the video takes up.

You will need to upload the video to YouTube and then post a link to it here.

Does he nod only when eating? I'm thinking if he has to make an effort to swallow - like a little 'gulp'?

He's nodding when he's stationary. He's raspy and sqeauky when he's asleep or dozy.

I got in touch with the emergency vet again and I am going to try get some medicine.😕

I sent them the video. The emergency vets called back and want to see him.

It's official another URI. It's not in his lungs like last time, only his nose and throat, but still it's annoying our vet did not catch it. After his antibiotic I am going to take him to the exotic vet to get a full clean bill of health. What do we do about the girls?
Do we get them to the exotic as well. Will they be ok?

Aw, so sorry for you and Womble, hope you can get him better very soon, at least you now know what it is x
No idea about the girls, only to say they’ve been with him anyway so I wouldn’t separate and I’d monitor them

Aw, so sorry for you and Womble, hope you can get him better very soon, at least you now know what it is x
No idea about the girls, only to say they’ve been with him anyway so I wouldn’t separate and I’d monitor them
Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. The vet advised to keep an eye but not treat so I'm going to keep an eye on weight and symptoms and hope they are unaffected.

Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes just sees things differently.
He saw 2-3 different vets and I think because he was only squeaking very lightly in his sleep and nodding occasionally, the vets never witnessed it. It progressed to a full hoot today, still intermittent, but occurring loudly enough at a rate to notice this time. She gave him some antibiotics and it's weirdly stopped now. He's happily eating hay with the girls and even did a zoomie! Which I have never seen him do since babyhood!

I think being with the girls is helping him generally I think the reason he got ill in the first place is that he was feeling lonely and sad. I think the girls have given him a boost and hopefully, he's going to take his medicine and be ok. He's in a lot of a different state from when he was sitting in the cage next to them by himself waiting for his castration wounds to heal/sperm to die.

I hope he gets better soon.

Glad you finally found out what’s wrong, we know our piggies and know when they’re not right even if other people don’t see it. He has the most caring mummy :) healing wishes for womble xx
Thank you for your encouragement and kind words. :) I kept saying "I know my boy!" :))

Hi how's he doing? Have you not been given a course of antibiotics? On Thursday I took my herd to the vet and the all have URI. The odd little sneeze here and there. Still eating and drinking and lively, clear eyes and nose! Winston doesn't even have a cough I took him because I thought he had haypoke. Hope your pig recovers soon. All pigs have been given antibiotics for 10 days xx

Hi how's he doing? Have you not been given a course of antibiotics? On Thursday I took my herd to the vet and the all have URI. The odd little sneeze here and there. Still eating and drinking and lively, clear eyes and nose! Winston doesn't even have a cough I took him because I thought he had haypoke. Hope your pig recovers soon. Ally pigs have been given antibiotics for 10 days xx

He's given a course for 5 days. :) He seems ok in himself. Before he had an infection and it was all the way down to his lungs and it was obvious. Now it's less so but I still noticed something was off. He was on a nebuliser and he was still nodding squeaking in his sleep and I noticed he wasn't right. He's quite bright but a little sleepy/noddy.

Back