Won't you be my neighbor

Featheryfriend

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I know Penny and Sage will never be cagemates, but I would at least like them to be able to look at each other across a divide without snorting and teeth-chattering. Right now I've got a piece of coroplast blocking their view. Twice I've waited for a calm moment where everyone was occupied and munching hay, then tried removing the coroplast. As soon as those two spot each other, they're smashed up against the grids making noises of severe irritation. I was concerned they might bite, it was pretty fervent, so I called it and put the coroplast back after only a few minutes.

Should I wait a few days and try again for a longer period of time to see if they can work it out, or would it be best to give up and place the cages a couple of inches apart? I wanted them all to have the benefits of extra interaction through the divide, particularly with Parsley, but not if it means someone getting a lip ripped off. Any methods or tips for getting them accustomed to their neighbors in these circumstances?

Piggies&buns

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Most often once they have made the decision they don’t like each other, then there isn’t going to be a lot you can do to change their minds. They sadly may never be able to see each other without being aggressive.

Sparklepetal

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm sure there was someone updating on the forum in the last couple of weeks about how after many months they head finally been able to remove the barrier and the piggies each side were no longer freaking out. It was was a very long term project as I recall. So perhaps with much patience there's still hope?

Featheryfriend

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm sure there was someone updating on the forum in the last couple of weeks about how after many months they head finally been able to remove the barrier and the piggies each side were no longer freaking out. It was was a very long term project as I recall. So perhaps with much patience there's still hope?
That would be great. I'll wait patiently and give it another go... sometime next year. 😅 They don't seem to have a problem with hearing and smelling each other, so perhaps there is hope for them yet. Maybe they just need to feel confident that the other pig won't be invading their side of the cage, or something.

David Piggie Lover

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I know Penny and Sage will never be cagemates, but I would at least like them to be able to look at each other across a divide without snorting and teeth-chattering. Right now I've got a piece of coroplast blocking their view. Twice I've waited for a calm moment where everyone was occupied and munching hay, then tried removing the coroplast. As soon as those two spot each other, they're smashed up against the grids making noises of severe irritation. I was concerned they might bite, it was pretty fervent, so I called it and put the coroplast back after only a few minutes.

Should I wait a few days and try again for a longer period of time to see if they can work it out, or would it be best to give up and place the cages a couple of inches apart? I wanted them all to have the benefits of extra interaction through the divide, particularly with Parsley, but not if it means someone getting a lip ripped off. Any methods or tips for getting them accustomed to their neighbors in these circumstances?
Hello. I've posted a thread about trying to bond my girls as 1 Heidi was left alone after her two loved mates died.
It didn't work and i tried long slow and like you wish it would.
Now they live next to each other and yes was a lot grumbling and cage biting when I first tried after a few mins it calmed them start again but in time they stopped
Now they kiss and share hay and leaves through bars but it was a close call. 20191002_185253.jpg
I told them in my best squeaky voice it's for them not me.

Featheryfriend

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I split the cage back into 2 cages while the four piggies were having floor time today. Apparently five or six inches of distance is enough to soothe their seething rage. Sage and Penny made one hilarious attempt to "get" each other, squishing their faces and their silly little arms through the grids and thrashing around. They quickly realized they couldn't reach and gave up. Since then they've been eating out of their respective hayracks a few inches apart without any angry noises or other complaints.

Hey, if I scooched them a millimeter or so closer each day, they'd be sharing a grid wall by Valentine's day. Hypothetically. :))