• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Wood hidey

Mo & Stubbins & Vani

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! :)
I just received a new wood hidey for the piggies as a gift!
Unfortunately, the product is made of pine but does not specify whether or not it is kiln-dried.
Does this mean that it is unsafe to use?

I could only find the description for the smaller size online:
This cute all-natural sleephouse is the perfect hideout for your furry friend. Made from pine trees, this hideaway is perfectly sized for gerbils, hamsters, and mice.
  • Wooden peg construction, no nails or staples to harm your pet
  • Constructed from quality pine timber

It probably depends whether they try to eat it... my piggies have some nice plywood castles and plywood generally isnt considered safe if eaten but luckily none of my main herd have ever so much as taked a nibble... though I wouldnt trust chew monster Tallulah with the same product!
Can you post a photo? Maybe you could use it under supervision during floor time, see what they do? Unless it smells of pine, that would be bad for their breathing...

It probably depends whether they try to eat it... my piggies have some nice plywood castles and plywood generally isnt considered safe if eaten but luckily none of my main herd have ever so much as taked a nibble... though I wouldnt trust chew monster Tallulah with the same product!
Can you post a photo? Maybe you could use it under supervision during floor time, see what they do? Unless it smells of pine, that would be bad for their breathing...
It kind of just smells like...wood. :)
Mine are big chewers and have eaten quite a bit of their current wood hidey.
I tried to write a question on Amazon for the company to answer, but the website says that I need a certain number of purchases to post the question! I may ask my mom if I can post a question using her account, though, as hers is a bit older.

Is pine an issue because of the smell, or is it that it is poisonous for them to eat?
It doesn't really smell like anything. :)

I looked at three or four websites to try and figure out whether or not the wood is kiln-dried.
Do you think that reaching out to the company would help?

Back