• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Wood Shavings/CareFresh UNDER Fleece?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hiya all,

I've been looking around, trying to find some sort of under-bedding for my fleece. You see, I love fleece except for the fact that mine stinks after about 24 hours mallethead

I currently use towels underneath, and have found something which sort of works- every time I take off the fleece, I sprinkle a little bit of White Vinegar and Nature's Mirical which takes care of the smell, but doesn't really eliminate it.

I was just wondering, has anyone tried using wood shavings or carefresh under the fleece. Because before, I used Aspen and the cage didn't smell after 10 days if I scooped pee spots daily! :o

Has anyone tried this at all? :^-

Thanks!x>>

Fear not - experiment! =D

I layer, i use a base of newspaper, then a thick layer of sawdust, a towel the same size as the base over the sawdust, and then finally my fleece, folded so it is double layered. Lasts me 4 days ^_^

I use incontinene pad under fleece lasts 1 week ..then i can smell.

You can get pad off ebay/Amazon.

Yeah, I will definitely experiement! Do you think I could saftely use kiln-dried pine because the phenols would not escape since they were under the fleece?

And Sonia, what are these pads that you are talking about? They sound great!:))

I think she may mean these:

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000MES1W8/[/ame]

I use newspaper, topped with towels, then a double layer of fleece then a fleece cage liner & I don't smell anything & it lasts at least 4-5 days, probably longer but I like to strip the lot & throw the paper away after then. If you only use one layer of fleece it won't wick the liquid away :) I also put extra loose pieces of fleece in the messiest areas where their hay is & where they usually pee & change those daily rolleyes

Thanks! I have also herd about the *-Haul pads. I'll have to look around and see if they have them in Canada. :)

Poppy'sMom, are you saying that 1 layer of fleece won't work? Should I double-layer?

Thanks!x>>

One layer of fleece is fine. It's the absorbant layer underneath that needs to be doubled.

How many times have you wash your fleece? Have you try before putting in the cage to see if the water stays on top or if it drains to the layer underneath.

You can test by layering the fleece on top of a layer of towel and pour some water on to see if it works.

Fleece needs to be washed and dried without fabric softener for 3 - 4 times before it works.

If you've done that and it still doesn't work, you might have wrong type of fleece.

I have found that 1 layer of fleece, then a layer of matress protector (sometimes called matress topper) Then finally a layer of pampers disposable baby changing mats on the bottom, smells MUCH less than the towel and newspaper combo i used to use!

I dont know if you can get the pampers things out there, but shop around I'm sure you will have a similar thing. :) I can post a link to the ones sold in the uk if you need it for referance, just ask.

I have quite a lot of piggies in my C&C, 10 to be exact. And they used to smell regardless of what i did. I had incontinance pads (although admittedly very cheap useless ones) and I had a layer of towels and newspaper.

But.... since providing my herd with a 'hay box' which is actually the base of a small indoor cage that they can climb in or out of to have a graze on hay. There house now lasts ages as they tend to wee/poo more in this. And all i need to do is change this every few days. The fleece doesnt smell at all for over a week and they dont tend to pee much on it either.

Just experiement. See what works best for you. Everyone on here uses different things. :)

x.

Hiya guys,

@lissie- Don't worry the fleece definitely works. All moisture is on the bottom. When I got my fleece I washed and dried it 3 times before and I've probably washed each sheet 6 times since then:))

@Connie- I was looking into pampers the other day but I found that they were about 20$ for a box of 12 mallethead Not sure how long they last but they would need to last pretty long!

@Abi_nurse- The moment I get my girls into their C&C cage I'm definitely getting a litter-box. Right now I just don't have the room in their cage :{ But the litterbox will definitely bee in there ASAP!

I think she may mean these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000MES1W8/

I use newspaper, topped with towels, then a double layer of fleece then a fleece cage liner & I don't smell anything & it lasts at least 4-5 days, probably longer but I like to strip the lot & throw the paper away after then. If you only use one layer of fleece it won't wick the liquid away :) I also put extra loose pieces of fleece in the messiest areas where their hay is & where they usually pee & change those daily rolleyes

Yes poppy's mum its those..thanks :)

And yes its fab :)

Oh dear. they are only £4 for 12 over here. :/

i know this isnt a cure to problem of under ley but i wash my fleeces in 250ml of white vinager and then a cup of non bio, usually about 4 single pieces of fleece and a bed and that helps loads with smell.
good luck x x

Thanks for the replies. Currently, I've sort of worked out something:

1. Fleece
2. Sprinkles of home-made CareFresh
3. Towels
4. Newspaper
5. Towels
6. Newspaper
7. Towels
8. Newspaper

Every time I spot clean I also dribble a little bit of Nature's Miricle on the first towel. After about 4 days it starts smelling... when I move Miika and Luna into their C&C cage (2 weeks?) then I will get them a litter-box also- hopefully they'll catch on :red

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back