Wood Shavings

Edam

Forum Donator 2026/27
Joined
Nov 13, 2024
Messages
187
Reaction score
704
Points
395
Location
London, UK
Hello lovelies

What's everyone's opinions on wood shavings?

As some of you are aware I am fostering hamsters now, and hamsters absolutely should not be on wood shavings - however the hamster who came in to me yesterday came with a big unopened pack of pets at home unscented wood shavings! Can i use this for the piggies? Is it safe? I don't want it to go to waste...! I also love the smell of wood shavings/sawdust lol so wouldn't mind having it sometimes in the piggies cage which is in my living room (so it can mildly cover the guinea pig smell when I'm relaxing :P!)

Thank you!
 
No problem at all with using them for piggies
I use them with mine (and always have done for 40+ years; also experimented with other types of wood based bedding but am now back with shavings)
 
The shavings work well. My boars got them stuck in their boar pouches alot 🙁 They make spot cleaning quick and easy. They go everywhere and need sweeping up alot. I use a 1x2 kitchen and put paper pellets into it as they are less messy. I put fleece everywhere else. The shavings do produce a certain amount of dust, but then hay does as well 🏡
 
Back
Top