Wooden Hidey DIY tips

Jamjarpigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We've had this hidey for a few years, not sure where from but the girls LOVE it. It did have a cross of wood on the window but as you can see, Mildred is very into her remodelling. We took it out of the cage but having been in the house more they've had supervised time with it, nobody has tried the window (even when spooked and running into it) so I'm fairly confident they're sensible but wouldn't leave it in if going out.

Our conundrum: Mr Gatsby. We recently adopted a neutered boar who is currently halfway through his 6 week wait before moving in and during floortime after the girls he immediately dove through the window with his little legs sticking out as he almost got stuck. Luckily he is fine, so it was funny in hindsight but a bit scary at the time! I don't want to deprive the girls of their favourite house but its not safe, does anyone have any ideas of the best way to modify it to make it safe? Or are we best to give up?
received_226344602056233.jpeg

KathT

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I have the rectangle houses of a similar make and most of my pigs were too big to fit through the door but that did squash in. They remodelled the windows too so I took off the front of the house completely, leaving a three sided shelter. They still love them and lie in them - and nibble the edges. Be wary of removing all the metal pins that hold the house front on (older houses), or sand off any excessive glue - just in case.