Wooden house

Miss_marie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi 👋

for the first while kiwi had a plastic pig house, a pigloo, but she kept chewing on it and I was worried it wasn’t healthy so I switched it out for a wooden house from you and me brand. But then that seemed to small, it looked like she was bumping into the door on the way out, so I switched back to the pigloo and she’s chewing on it again! Any recommendationsfor in cage hides that are size and safety appropriate for guinea pigs?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Piggies, as rodents, chew, it’s what is natural to them. Ensure she has plenty of hay as that is the very best thing for her to be chewing.
Does kiwi have a friend? Bored and lonely piggies will be more likely to chew more due to not having any social interaction.

Any wooden hide made of piggy safe Wood is fine for them though. I use bendy log huts in the large size as they are big enough for two piggies to be in and safe for them to chew on

Attachments

Miss_marie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Piggies, as rodents, chew, it’s what is natural to them. Ensure she has plenty of hay as that is the very best thing for her to be chewing.
Does kiwi have a friend? Bored and lonely piggies will be more likely to chew more due to not having any social interaction.

Any wooden hide made of piggy safe Wood is fine for them though. I use bendy log huts in the large size as they are big enough for two piggies to be in and safe for them to chew on
unfortunately due to my living arrangement she is a single pig. I wasn’t told about the multiple pig preference until I did some more in depth research, and I feel terrible about it. She will be getting a new friend within the next 10 months since I’ll be in a new living situation. Again it’s something I feel really guilty about, but I try to help by handling her as much as she’s comfortable with. She has plenty of hay and a variety of chews, so I’m not sure why she likes chewing on Her house so much, you’re probably right about the boredom

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
unfortunately due to my living arrangement she is a single pig. I wasn’t told about the multiple pig preference until I did some more in depth research, and I feel terrible about it. She will be getting a new friend within the next 10 months since I’ll be in a new living situation. Again it’s something I feel really guilty about, but I try to help by handling her as much as she’s comfortable with. She has plenty of hay and a variety of chews, so I’m not sure why she likes chewing on Her house so much, you’re probably right about the boredom
Sadly human interaction is not a replacement for their social needs from another piggy. I do remember your earlier posts now though. You will need to do all you can to enrich her life until she can get a friend.
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

Miss_marie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Sadly human interaction is not a replacement for their social needs from another piggy. I do remember your earlier posts now though. You will need to do all you can to enrich her life until she can get a friend.
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
Thank you so much for the new resource! I have been trying to find information online about single guinea pig care and was mostly getting articles about how terrible people who have single guinea pigs were, I know I’m a terrible pig parent for having a single pig, but I want to fix it and get better! This article is helpful and I will be sure to implement its recommendations with kiwi!

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Mine love the sea grass tunnels and houses.
It doesn’t take long before they’re chewed to destruction.

Please don’t feel guilty about having a single pig - you didn’t know and now that you do you’re making plans to change the situation.
You sound like a very good pig parent who only wants the best and is is open to learning.

Fantasimo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My boys love Resch brand houses (you can find them on Amazon). Really solid, various sizes, good and safe for chewing, platforms so they can sit on top etc. Mine had the mansion, and they now have a smaller one with a ramp. I put a fleece on top and it’s my Finn’s favourite place to hang out 🙂

Sweet Potato

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
try cardboard boxes or carrot cottages they will get chewed and smelly but that's ok because they're cheap safe and disposable. I also have corner hammocks that they hide under and bendy bridges. one of my piggies in particular often chews round the doorways if it's not exactly the shape and size they want it to be.

Don't feel bad about having a single piggie I was in a similar situation for the first year of piggie motherhood when I had my two boys in a tiny cage and my housing situation would not allow for a bigger cage (they are now happy in their C&C palace) you'll get there don't worry.