• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Woodland's Gp Herbal Forage & Excel Pellets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarnivalPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I just bought the Guinea Pig's Herbal Forage and I was wondering if it was good for them, since a lot of stuff like that can be bad. Also, I just got the Burgess Excel Nuggets with Blackcurrant and Oregano and was wondering how many I should give one boar and two sows as they seem much smaller than the mint ones I normally get.

What age are your pigs?

The Guinea Pig's Herbal forage is fine once or twice a week as a treat mixed into hay. I give my boys a small handful.

I don't know the exact age. Ginny, the boy, is probably around early two years old. The girls are a year, most likely.

I tried giving them around nine. Ginny seems to like it better than the other two, but none of them seems too happy with it. I'll just give them the odd treat of it and probably won't buy anymore after I finish this bag. :)

Hi not sure if you mean 9 nuggets of the excel or something else? On the bag it will tell you how many grams per piggie to feed. I'd weigh it a few times until I got an idea of what the right amount looked like.

Having said that, the blackcurrant excel (which smells lovely) is better just as a treat rather than as an every day feed because of its sugar content (molasses).

If you are looking around for nuggets to get a brand you like, lots of us on here will have plenty of views for you! What you go for will be a bit dependent on what you can afford.

My favourite is Vitacraft Emotion from zoo plus online. You feed 5 nuggets per pig of it. It's not the cheapest though and not everyone can afford it.

My back up choice (from local shops if I run out and can't wait for an online order) is the excel with mint.

I've never tried it but apparently the Asda own brand nuggets are almost the same recipe as the excel mint ones and are cheaper.

The top recommendation on here is the Bunny brand (not for bunnies!) nuggets also sold by zoo plus. They are more expensive though.

Thank you for the advice! Unfortunately, I am not able to order the guinea pig food online so I get it from shops instead. I've gave them the blackcurrant excel today and they seem to like it. I gave them around forty to fifty grams of it. If I gave them it as a treat, how often should I give it to them? I thought suddenly switching from mint to blackcurrant every few days would be bad for them, but seeing as they're both from Excel I'm guessing I'm wrong, heh.

No I think you're right switching back and forth isn't generally a good idea. It's also worth remembering that provided your piggies are getting fresh hay and veg with vit c in it each day, nuggets aren't an essential at all anyway. They are a great way, I think, of making sure piggies do get certain essential nutrients.

I would view it as you feed the mint ones but some days you don't feed nuggets but give a different extra treat instead - and that treat just happens to be the Blackcurrant nuggets!

But, please, don't feel pressured to make any changes because of what I say. Everyone's situation is different and things that work for some piggies might not work for others too. I've fed the blackcurrant nuggets in the past as the "regular" nuggets when I found a really cheap deal on them and I wasn't able to buy the more expensive nuggets.

I have seen about just veg, but I don't think I would have the money for that.

Thank you! I'll probably wait a week or two before or until at least half the bag is gone before buying some mint ones. I've nearly ran out of hay so I'm bound to be there soon. The piggies don't seem to rush so much with the blackcurrant ones compared to the mint so I'll keep with it for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back