• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Worming Guinea Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
[color]Has anyboy ha thir guina pig worm?

Last edited by a moderator:
Never use to but my 2 girls were wormed before i took them on so have kept it up - about every 3 months with panacur

[color]Yah my mum ask m to ask th qustion if othrs hav ha it on bcaus sh VES Ptr Gurny an ras all his books an in on of his books it says h gts it on an it shoul gt on vry 3 months but w hav nvr ha it on!

Last edited by a moderator:
In all the years I've had piggies, I have never had them wormed

Kelly and piggies xx

me neither I did order some natural wormer for pigs from America, a white powder because I thought maybe i should do,
after getting lynched on another piggy forum by admitting i did'nt and I did'nt feel I wanted to use panacur especially on some of my eldely and young piggys, I asked my vets advice and other vets as well and all said no need, so its a case of do what you feel is right, mine are all fine ( incidently i never used the powder)

I worm my piggys using Panacur following dose of ivemec the week before 3 monthly. A lot of vets don't do it or think its necissary. But also a lot of vets know very little about guinea pigs. I believe the worming is done to help with the flora of the gut as well as peventing parasites that might come in on the hay. I do it as a preventative thing and also because like your Mum Ellie I respect people like Peter Gurney. I have only been into piggys a few years so I figure they know best! Its always served me well so far. I have huge chubby healthy boys.

I thought Ivomec did it. Am I wrong? I am very inexperienced still with guineas . . .

Ivomec is for to prevent paracytes. You treat with that, give a week to avoid overloading their systems then you worm the piggy with Panucur or Valbazen. (Sorry I can't spell!) they work in tadum. Ivermc to prevent mites and Panucur for the gut flora. Hope that clears it up for you.

No one that I know worms their pigs ... we just use Ivermectin as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back