• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Worried about age gap

Claire W

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Edward is just over 5 years old. We are unsure about Elizabeth’s age other than that she was a young guinea pig when I adopted her in July 2019.

I know this is silly and that I shouldn’t worry as nobody can predict the future but I am really worried about the age gap and Elizabeth ending up by herself.

Edward and Elizabeth went on a date on Sunday but sadly the bonding failed :( It looks like Elizabeth is happy having Edward to herself.

Does anyone else have a pair of piggies with a big age gap?

I can see this could be a worry Claire but please dont worry too soon, Edward may have a good few years left yet! The other day I suddenly realised that Jezzy and Clover must both be over 4 and a half now, and my "youngsters" who I'm used to thinking of as a teenage rabble are all now almost 3... it made me a bit sad but then just watching them you realise that piggies dont think that way at all, Jezzy floof in particular has really blossomed into lively but contented middle age, lots of happy todays is what counts- if Edward and Elizabeth are completely exclusively happy together right now then that's all that matters, and if/when Edward's age gets the better of him then you can plan some more happy todays for Elizabeth. Its good to be a bit prepared but they might have another 2 or 3 years together, thats like 20 or 30 hooman years, especially for piggies who are blessed with not worrying about what happens next unless it is a veggie snack! X

I have had guinea pigs live for less than 18 months, and just realised that the ever bad tempered Miss Ruby is rapidly approaching 5 years old!
I guess none of us really know, so try to just enjoy having a happy, well bonded pair for now.

Thank you for the replies. It doesn’t seem like 5 minutes ago that Edward was 8 months old but I shall try and put the age gap to the back of my mind and enjoy them x

Back