• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Worried about Moon-pig's weight loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey guys

My moon-pig seems to have lost lots of weight over the last few days. (maybe up to a week) but he is eating everything i give him and i have checked his teeth and they look ok. i will get him to the vets tomorrow, but does anyone know what could be causing this?

should i keep trying to make him eat as much as he'll take or should i just sit it out til tomorrow?

thanks for any advice you can give. Moon-pig says thank you too. x

hello! i should also add that Moon-pig is only about 2.5 years old, so not too old yet, and seems to still have a healthy appetite for hay, fresh veg and water.

and thanks Romily. i will read up on that now and see if he's displaying any of the symptoms of that. fingers crossed!

Here is a list of possible causes for loss of appetite and weight loss. It is worth checking through. After checking the back teeth, I would also advise worming if other signs are not present; guinea pigs can get a build up of bacteria and stuff in their guts like other animals.

http://www.guinealynx.info/anorexia.html

It would help if you could detail the weight change over a specific time period please?

xx

hi pebbles

it looks like he's lost around 200g in about a week.

i did find a worm in his cage yesteday, which was covered in blood so i assume its come from inside him. i took him to the vet and she was really unhelpful so i'm going to go to P@H at lunch and see if they have anything to worm guineas.

I looked on their website and could only find rabbit worming stuff. will this be ok on my guinea? what have other people used to worm their pigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back