• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

worried my girl needs operation !

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynneprice

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi all ,just wondering if any of your piggies have needed surgery?
my 3 year old ,guinness is going under knife on friday to have a cyst on her neck removed.I do have a lot of faith in vet(recommended by suzie glynneath rescue) ,he was very good and knew straight away what lump was,he could even tell it was very active,it certainly come from nowhere in a matter of days .its now size of a walnut
just really worried about the anesthetic with her being such a small animal .
also could anyone give advice about aftercare ?
shes my first gp ,am so worried love her to bits xx :...

aww your piggie will be fine. my patch had an operation last may because he had a tumour which grew massive. it is worrying about the annerstetic (however its spelt) but I'm sure everything will be fine

Anaesthetics have become a lot better over the last few years adn the vast majority of piggies make it safe through an operation. Complications can of course never be excluded - but that goes for any species, including us humans!

Here are tips for post-op care from the best medical website for guinea pigs:
http://www.guinealynx.info/postop.html

I can also recommend getting some Critical Care from your vet, just in case.
Here are tips for syringing and giving meds:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36533

I have been through quite a few ops with my piggies, it is always an anxious time until you have your little one back.

Feel free to post on here during the op if you need moral support and some virtual "hand holding"!

Last edited:
My Dory had an op on his side to remove an abcess at the end of last year. He's at least 5 so quite old but in really good health. He came through the op no problems and was his usual perky self within 24 hours. Try not to worry, you have a good vet on hand x

I too was really worried about my gp going under, but my vets said minor ops (ie to remove fatty lumps) were quite straight forward and had a high success rate. He has operated on quite a few gpigs tho before so just check with yrs to make sure. this will give you more confidence.
my fluffy has to have the same lump removed which is growing huge on her belly and now pootle's op (to remove bladder stones) was successful, i'm less worried about fluffy as she is stronger and not actually ill to start with.
My vet gave gas which is normal i think and they can be brought around very quickly if there is a bad reaction.

No matter what, you will still worry so just know that you are doing the best you can for your piggy and we will all keep our fingers and toes crossed for you!

Awww- wishing her well. It's scary when they have surgery. Two of my pigs have had surgery under general anasthesia- one had an abscess removal that sounds similar to what your pig is having done, except that her abscess was down on her back above the grease gland. She recovered just fine- other than the fact that she had a big shaved spot on her bum and several stitches, we never would have even known that anything was done! My other pig had maloccluded teeth and an abscess near her jaw... she was put under twice to work on her teeth and try to clean out/remove the abscess. She eventually did pass away due to the illness, but never had any trouble with the surgeries themselves, even when she was in pretty bad shape from her illness. I think the odds are in favour of your pig being just fine, especially if it's a vet with experience with cavies. Just make sure they use an inhaled anasthesia- it's supposed to be the safest for the little guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back