Worrying behaviour?

munchmonster

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
My latest rescue piggy, Annie, has lived in harmony with Wilf since their date last September. I have suddenly today seen behaviour that I have not witnessed with them before. Annie is picking fights with Wilf, there is a lot of noise, headbutting and teeth chattering. Wilf seems quite frightened and is backing away from her and she will not let him go to his hidey. Has anyone any ideas why this is suddenly happening? I am worried they will come to the fighting stage in the night. :hb:

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
My latest rescue piggy, Annie, has lived in harmony with Wilf since their date last September. I have suddenly today seen behaviour that I have not witnessed with them before. Annie is picking fights with Wilf, there is a lot of noise, headbutting and teeth chattering. Wilf seems quite frightened and is backing away from her and she will not let him go to his hidey. Has anyone any ideas why this is suddenly happening? I am worried they will come to the fighting stage in the night. :hb:
Hi

Is she an adult? In this case, I would have her checked for ovarian cysts.
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

munchmonster

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I don't know how old she is, I adopted her from Cavy Corner who rescued a few piggies from neglect and they did not know her age.

munchmonster

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Just another question - I know I should not separate them, but as there's a lot of aggro going on right now, would it be better to separate them overnight otherwise I will not sleep well in case there is a big fight

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have the possibility to separate their cage with grids?
This way they are both safe but can still see and hear each other.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know how old she is, I adopted her from Cavy Corner who rescued a few piggies from neglect and they did not know her age.
How long have you had her and was she fully grown when you adopted her?

munchmonster

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
No, I have 2 grids left over from the C&C that I built for my other 2 piggies, but Wilf and Annie are not in that type of home

munchmonster

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I adopted her last September from a very good rescue in Doncaster and the bonding has been perfect since then, but the rescue did not know how old she is. She has not grown in length/weight since she came home with Wilf