• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Would my boys be ok on vet bed for 6 days with only a spot clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cgilchrist

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys all my boys are on vet bed and there are 10 cages of piggies.As you may have seen hubby and i are aiming to go away for 5 days at xmas/new year. the thing is we normally fully clean and change the cages every 3 days with no spot clean but i was hoping to make life easier for the pig sitter and was thinking about putting extra newspaper under the vet bed and asking the sitter just to clear out hay and poops every day then do the full clean when we get back? it will be in winter so it is quite an art to clean out all the cages in the 2.5 m wide shed, put the boys in the indoor run and keep it clear etc and i think it will be less of a burden to the sitter if we clean them out last thing the day before we go and then the day we get back. we will be away for 5 days but won't get back til late on the 5 day so it will be 6 days til they get a change, what do you think?

It should be ok, though she may have to change the newspaper underneath as it'll get a bit smelly in the end ( should be easy enough to do this though if you just do it one side at a time )

It's OK if you do not mind that it is rather whiffy when you come back and are prepared to change straight away.

I have to make similar compromises when I go away as I can't expect my neighbours to spend hours with cleaning out my piggies!

my piggies have 7 nights and days on their vet bed and then i wash it - obviously they are not kept on their vet every day as they get time in the runs, but i have towels underneath -its usually the last day or so it starts to smell, but then they all get a good wash - i spot clean every day also, hoovering out all the poos and hay etc.

excellent thanks everyone. fingers crossed i just need to find some cheap accomodation and we might actually get away skiing for 5 days :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back