• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Would this be warm enough for winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Would my piggies be warm enough in this in the winter. It's situated in my summerhouse down the garden....?

DSC01023.jpg

hi, omg you have a summerhouse how blooming posh are you!!

I think maybe your doggy wants to keep the piggys warm??

hi, omg you have a summerhouse how blooming posh are you!!

I think maybe your doggy wants to keep the piggys warm??

DSC00983.jpg

When I say 'summer house' ... it's just a wee wooden house! Just wondering what other people do with their outdoor piggies in the winter... where do you keep yours?

I think they should be fine as long as you fill it with loads of hay! :) Is there anyway you can cover it up more though, like have fleece on top? Just for extra warmth? ;)

Ideally you'd have some other form of heat but assuming you won't be bringing the piggies indoors for cuddles at least they are out of the damp and draughts. Main reason I say is last year it was around -20C here for a month and the temp in my Uncle's garden shed (no piggies) hit -16C one night.

I want your summerhouse for me :))

I think they should be fine as long as you fill it with loads of hay! :) Is there anyway you can cover it up more though, like have fleece on top? Just for extra warmth? ;)

Yes I could do that or even wrap the pen in silver bubble wrap stuff and a roof.... that would be warmer wouldn't it? Thanks - you got me thinking.

wowwwweeee thats welll posh!! Love it, and am very jealous!

My babies are indoors....i would miss them too much outside x

Yes I could do that or even wrap the pen in silver bubble wrap stuff and a roof.... that would be warmer wouldn't it? Thanks - you got me thinking.

Yes that would be great. :) Just remember to not fully enclose it so that they have air to breath but of course you know that! :(|)

Its looks lovely and roomy for them to run around I am in envy of how much natural light they have from all those windows. I had to put a hole in the door of mine for extra daylight window covered in perspex. Do you have a hutch they could sleep in at night at all ? It would be warmer for them to be a little off the floor at night. My shed is heated but the heat rises and my feet are always cold in the shed so at night I put mine into thier hutches so they can snuggle down.
Off to look at summer houses now :)) I want one

I love your summer house, piggies and your dog!

I would definitely think about more insulation around the cage. You could use cardboard/ bubblewrap to make outside walls and certainly cover some of the top. How warm is the summerhouse in the winter? If you don't have a heater then maybe consider covering the windows with something. Maybe bubblewrap again? I've got a small window in my flat near my pigs and it doesn't have a curtain- I have a towel covering the window but the heat still sems to be sucked out so I'm looking to do something with that.

You could also consider using snugglesafe heatpads.

Have a look at this thread for some ideas. :)
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54309

My piggies live in hutches in an unheated greenhouse in the winter. Last winter it got down to -7C in the greenhouse but my six piggies were fine. They live in pairs and cuddle up together. I make sure they have lots and lots of hay. Whenever I go to see them late at night they always feel really warm and are snuggled up in a hay nest.
Mine are hardly ever brought indoors and seem to be used to living outdoors. I think it would be more of a shock to them to come into a heated house. It doesn't stop me worrying though!

My eldest, Honey, is now 5 and so has had 5 cold winters.

Thanks! Maybe I need to think again. Or at least do a bit more work to make sure they are warm enough. Or maybe I should look into bringing them indoors for the winter. I do have a spare room. could take the mattress off the bed and put their c&c on the base.... would hate them to be uncomfortable.... what's your honest opinion?

I would bring them in because I think that's the best option for guinea pigs where possible. You can be sure that they are safe and warm. I would constantly worry about them if they were outside (I have indoor pigs but am still making preparations for colder weather as I don't have central heating).

:)

I think your summer house is perfect and your piggies are so cute x) If you do decide to leave them where they are, you could always buy them some snugglesafe heat pads and give them some extra beds and fleecey things :) Your pigs are very lucky xx

I think as long as they have plenty of hay they will be fine as they are.

Mine live outside all year round and coped fine last year even with the snow in the run. My eldest sows are nearly 8years old and have spent every year outside enjoying themselves with no problems.

But of course each to their own. :)

I love your summer house, piggies, dog and piggie set up it all looks fantastic, I think they should be dandy, if you put some extra hay and perhaps insulate the sides? good luck with the cage insulation! :)

I think it would be fine, with ots of hay and some snugglesafe warmers in the really cold spells between December and march:))

That is a great summerhouse, you could get a comfy chair in there to sit on to watch and pet your guinea pigs so they would get attention without having to be bought in and out of the house.

I personally would bring them in, they may manage fine and I agree with rngp each to there own. I personally would prefer to Avoid the cold trip to the Shed, Summerhouse or garden and stay in my nice warm house at night after work.

If the pigs are left out they need to stay outside, you would not be able to bring them in and put them out again until next year. As I like to give my pigs lots of cuddles (Yes, I'm totally Selfish :))). My pigs live indoors, were I get to stay warm, when tending to there needs over winter!

If I had a Shed it would have to be heated if only to keep me warm when cuddling pigs, and giving floortime :))!

Well, I brought them in! Better safe than sorry! They now have their c&c pen on the base of the bed in my spare room and seem delighted, thank you very much. I have changed the bedding to inco pads and fleece and it is working fine. Nice to see their wee faces before I go to bed and when I get up in the morning! x)

Well, I brought them in! Better safe than sorry! They now have their c&c pen on the base of the bed in my spare room and seem delighted, thank you very much. I have changed the bedding to inco pads and fleece and it is working fine. Nice to see their wee faces before I go to bed and when I get up in the morning! x)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back