Would This Hutch Be Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizi

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! I am looking into upgrading my pigs hutch as it is around 20cm smaller than it should be. I give them lots of time outside of the cage in a big open area but i don't think it's enough and I want to upgrade their hutch. I found this chicken hutch on eby and I'm wondering if it would be a good size. I know it should be 120cm x 60cm x 45cm at least. This hutch is 100cm x 93cm and It's almost a square. I'm not sure if that would be okay though. What do you think about this hutch?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Double-s...494949?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item25817196a5

I think because the first hutch only has one level that can be counted as floor space that is useable at all times (as they can't go out in the run part in bad or cold weather) that it's too small. I think the second one would follow the same rule. You can only count the dimentions of the floor space that is used all the time. Unless of course the hutch is kept indoors and then i don't see why not.

I think because the first hutch only has one level that can be counted as floor space that is useable at all times (as they can't go out in the run part in bad or cold weather) that it's too small. I think the second one would follow the same rule. You can only count the dimentions of the floor space that is used all the time. Unless of course the hutch is kept indoors and then i don't see why not.
It's really never too cold here. I have plenty of cozies. The hutch would be kept under the roof in a sort of closed in area. Of coarse the top level would only be the kitchen and snuggle area. I really hope this would be able to work out.

We agree with @Flutterby the first one would be the best option for your piggies, as it exceeds the minimum floor space required for 2 piggies, whereas the 2nd Hutch doesn't meet the minimum requirement for 2 piggies. 1st hutch = .86 sq metres , 2nd hutch = .58 sq metres. Minimum requirement for 2 piggies = .72 sq metres. The top part of both hutches is a bonus but doesn't count when calculating floor space. As you say they are almost like indoor piggies as it never gets that cold in Ausie Land.. :agr:

Lisa & Ali..

We agree with @Flutterby the first one would be the best option for your piggies, as it exceeds the minimum floor space required for 2 piggies, whereas the 2nd Hutch doesn't meet the minimum requirement for 2 piggies. 1st hutch = .86 sq metres , 2nd hutch = .58 sq metres. Minimum requirement for 2 piggies = .72 sq metres. The top part of both hutches is a bonus but doesn't count when calculating floor space. As you say they are almost like indoor piggies as it never gets that cold in Ausie Land.. :agr:

Lisa & Ali..
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Double-s...494949?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item25817196a5 this was the first hutch, but i think your talking about the other one? haha sorry.

1st hutch
Overall Size :100cm × 93cm × 96cm which include the roof overhang
Activity Area Size: 96cm x 93cm x 50cm :tu:
Cartons Size: 120cm x 70cm x 30 cm
Colour: Natural Fir As Shown in the picture

2nd hutch.
Overall Size :140cm × 93cm × 59cm which include the roof overhang
Activity Area Size: 93cm x 67cm x 59cm :no:

1st hutch
Overall Size :100cm × 93cm × 96cm which include the roof overhang
[you]Activity Area Size: 96cm x 93cm x 50cm [/you] :tu:

2nd hutch.
Overall Size :140cm × 93cm × 59cm which include the roof overhang
[you]Activity Area Size: 93cm x 67cm x 59cm :no:[/you]
Thank you! I thought the second hutch would be better. The first one comes out cheaper as well :P
Thanks again!

Hi @Gizi this is a great thread as it shows how important it is to look at usable floor space rather than overall dimensions. Your girls will love the extra space the first hutch will give them. We are going to copy this thread for future reference. :clap:

Lisa & Ali..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back