Would you share your opinion on my boars?

Piano

New Born Pup
Reaction score
2 un neutered boars 12 months old, good weight and health checked by vet. Big cage, 2 of everything and set up has passed muster with other posts.

Question-
Does the incessant humping one pig give to another count as bullying or mean the bond could be in trouble?
My poor little piggy will end up as a skinny pig as I have to keep cutting huge amounts of boar glue out of his coat every week. Honestly, the state of him sometimes, it looks like he's hosted a local swinger party in the cage and invited next door's Great Dane.

I'm not sure if it's anthropomorphism but the one being humped is the kindest, most gentle pig who always tries to get out of the cage when it's open and run to me for a chin scratch.
The one doing the humping is a right little 'grease gland'. Scared of everything, humps and nips his cage mate. Like a human bully is nasty to others but a coward at heart.
When I go to bed, I blow a kiss and say goodnight to one and I salute the other with my middle finger.
That may seem cruel to animals, but I do the same with the kids so it's fine.

Back to being serious, does humping count as bullying?
These are our first piggies ever. I wouldn't want to separate them if it's just normal behaviour. Only reason I bring it up is because the frequency of the humping would put a rabbit to shame.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
2 un neutered boars 12 months old, good weight and health checked by vet. Big cage, 2 of everything and set up has passed muster with other posts.

Question-
Does the incessant humping one pig give to another count as bullying or mean the bond could be in trouble?
My poor little piggy will end up as a skinny pig as I have to keep cutting huge amounts of boar glue out of his coat every week. Honestly, the state of him sometimes, it looks like he's hosted a local swinger party in the cage and invited next door's Great Dane.

I'm not sure if it's anthropomorphism but the one being humped is the kindest, most gentle pig who always tries to get out of the cage when it's open and run to me for a chin scratch.
The one doing the humping is a right little 'grease gland'. Scared of everything, humps and nips his cage mate. Like a human bully is nasty to others but a coward at heart.
When I go to bed, I blow a kiss and say goodnight to one and I salute the other with my middle finger.
That may seem cruel to animals, but I do the same with the kids so it's fine.

Back to being serious, does humping count as bullying?
These are our first piggies ever. I wouldn't want to separate them if it's just normal behaviour. Only reason I bring it up is because the frequency of the humping would put a rabbit to shame.
Hi!

You are having two teenagers right now; especially your more dominant one and one that struggles to stand up for himself. Intense but often short-lived hormone spikes are pretty common. Your rambunctious boy is just a normal boy with testosterone currently coursing through his veins and his brain having been short-circuited by his gonads.

Please follow the tips in these guides to work out whether you are dealing with a case of bullying or not. A 2 day trial separation with a divider and a re-intro on neutral ground (depending on the behaviour and reaction of the submissive boy) - if correctly done - is the only way you can ask your submissive boy for how he feels about it and his honest opinion; and then take it from there.
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Moody guinea pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour

Piano

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

You are having two teenagers right now; especially your more dominant one and one that struggles to stand up for himself. Intense but often short-lived hormone spikes are pretty common. Your rambunctious boy is just a normal boy with testosterone currently coursing through his veins and his brain having been short-circuited by his gonads.

Please follow the tips in these guides to work out whether you are dealing with a case of bullying or not. A 2 day trial separation with a divider and a re-intro on neutral ground (depending on the behaviour and reaction of the submissive boy) - if correctly done - is the only way you can ask your submissive boy for how he feels about it and his honest opinion; and then take it from there.
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Moody guinea pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour
Thank you

moodysuzy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We have two boys. The big dominant one (Edgar) is a proper sweetheart, just wants to be left alone to nap and eat. Our other boy (🙄), I love him to bits, but he is an absolute little sh*t. He’s a tiny little runt and begrudgingly lets his brother be dominant but he rumble struts constantly and is ALWAYS trying to hump his brother. Eventually our Edgar gets fed up and sends a nip in his direction and aforementioned little sh*t backs off.

Edgar is also very fussy and likes to make a lot of distressed noises when Prawn even looks in his direction.

They just got out of their teenage years and are a bit better now, but there were multiple moments we thought we’d have to separate them. When we had a third guinea pig (we separated them and the loner got adopted) the fighting was really brutal, bite marks everywhere.

Maybe you could get a hump toy? It worked for another guinea pig we had - we just got a cheap stuffed toy a similar size to a guinea pig and he loved to hump that thing.

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I had two boars Bill and Ted are they were the funniest and most loveable piggies I’ve ever had. Bill did like to hump Ted, not incessantly though usually when they were having a run around. I absolutely adored Bill but he died in February. Ted was devastating loosing his brother. It has taken the best part of a 6 months for him to get back to his old self, quite a journey of neutering, bonding with two wives. He’s finally happy again, I‘ts so obvious now just how much he missed Bill, his partner in crime
They were just the silliest and adorable pair together
Give them time to settle down from the teenage stageC2DB5547-DB18-4377-9E40-DDB20025C3A1.jpeg

Piano

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Taking away a bloke's manhood is a bit drastic to me. Personally I'd prefer a shock collar!

Piano

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Ferplast 140. Awaiting delivery on 5x2 C&c atm.

Piano

New Born Pup
Reaction score
🤷‍♂️ I don't know. We'll see how new set up goes.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
The 140 is a bit too small for two boars, so it’s great you’ve got a c&c on its way. A 5x2 c&c measures approx 180cm x 77cm, so that will give enough space, but you need to go about putting them in a new cage carefully. A change of cage constitutes a change of territory and will set of more dominance. Ensure you fill the new cage with soiled bedding so it still smells of them. This guide gives more details A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Piano

New Born Pup
Reaction score
God. These Guinea Pigs are giving me a migraine. Lol. Babies are less work.

OK. Something else to add to the list of what has to be done. Cheers.

Fantasimo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’ve got two boys who are 18 months. The dominant pig Oggie drove his brother Finn (and me) mad with all the strutting and humping. Dried boar glue is the worst!

My boys were in a store bought cage until the beginning of lockdown, then I went to a 5x2. They love the extra space and everything calmed down (possibly because of them maturing as well). Mine also liked having ‘high places’ to go, such as flat topped hideys. For some reason that helped ease some tensions, probably because they couldn’t see each other.

I think the 5x2 will be great for them, but unless the submissive pig isn’t eating or drinking (or being stopped by the dominant) and as long as there haven’t been any proper fights, give them some time (and their big new cage space) for the hormones to start to settle down. Let us know how they like their new cage! 🙂

Piano

New Born Pup
Reaction score
They absolutely love it. They've really calmed down a lot. I've fitted in some extra hidey holes and they still have room to run around.
Whenever I open a random bag or they hear the rustling of plastic nearby, they race around the pink hidey chasing each other and chirping. They think they are having their daily dose of biscuits and get excited😂