• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Wry Neck condition - Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi - I'm posting this message on behalf of a good friend and colleague regarding one of her piggies.

She has 2 boys and I think they are probably around 8/9 months old. One of them developed a tilted head in November '10, was treated with medication and other than his head remaining in the same position, he is still happy to eat, drink and carry on as usual.

However, my friend noticed that the other one has developed the same quite recently, (past few days) and has lost a lot of weight, to the point where he feels boney. She made a visit to the vet and the vet said it didn't look promising etc, but I believe she has been given medication for him.

The vet said that when 'their' immune system lowers, the parasites in the brain increase etc and this can cause this condition.

This second piggy though is eating, but did have a mess underneath his tummy. I'm not too sure on the exact details, but I think my friend is going to bath him. She is worried about his loss of weight and wondered if there was anything else he could have to boost his intake/energy.

I suggested that she could have one of my piggie's packet's of Critical Care, but I wanted her to check with the vet first to ensure it was okay to give it to him.

She asked the vet, but the vet said that the piggie was eating and didn't need it! :(

My friend did some research and found that this condition is called WRY NECK, mainly common with Rabbits.

Anyway, I wondered if any of you lovely piggie people could advise if it would be okay for her to give some CC to her piggie please? I am worried about him.

I gave Maisy (my pig) some before Christmas, but she wasn't eating very well then, but it does seem to boost her up a bit and was certainly a lot better for it.

Please can anyone help? Sorry for the long message.

Thank you my lovelies. xxxxx ^):)

i have no advice sorry just wanted to say hope they pick up soon, and i think your friend needs to change vets!

i'm feeding one of my piggies mushed up pellets soaked in water to make sure she is eating perhaps your friend could do this and syringe it to ensure they are eating

My dental piggy is still eating bits of softened food (which is good for when I'm working) but i am still syringe feeding him morning and night and maybe your friend should be too.

Sorry I dont know anything about their conditions but hope they are okay xx

Thank you Lauralucy and Hanwombat for your comments, much appreciated.

I will definately suggest the syringe feeding to my friend. :)

Anyone else help please...?

I do hope that time isn't running out. I've heard rearlier from my friend that the piggie who has been disgnosed with this condition recently, leans on the other one and his left hind leg is paralyzed. When the other piggie moves, he tends to fall sideways. :( I hate it that they are both poorly.

Mr friend is using Panacur on both pigs. It appears that the first pig that had this condition in November last year, his neck doesn't seem to be as tilted as it was and he looks very healthy, eating etc. However, the other one is very boney and not looking to good at all.

My friend said that his head was kind of all over the place.

I have contacted Laura, who has been absolutely brilliant with her advice, help and kindness. :rose I printed off the info she advised and also gave my friend a sachet of the critical care......like Laura said,...........it can't hurt at all.

My friend is going to give them both some nurturing over the weekend. They live outside in a hutch, but I said to her that if she can afford the time over the weekend, try and have them both in as often as she can. I said that they don't manage changes in temperature too well, but just to do what she could, especially with the one who is worse than the other.

I am terribly worried for them both, but I hoped that someone could give their experience of similar symptoms like this.

Thanks to all.

Beth xx

So sorry to hear about your friends piggies.... hope they show some improvement soon - I had never heard of this condition before so am unable to help but thanks for trying to help these piggies
xx

I have had 2 people contact me recently for advice about head tilt in their guinea pigs. In one it was due to an ear infection (recovering well) the other is being investigated for possible leukemia or possible uterine infection.
I have experience of this condition in rabbits (as you say, due to a parasite), its basically a symptom of an underlying illness- usually either in the ear or nervous system.
hope piggy improves soon!

I'd not heard of E Cuniculi in a piggy (I had two bunnies with it), but it does sound like it's infectious...

If it is, both need to be treated with Panacur at the same time, and for quite a long course. How long has the Panacur been prescribed for?

Poor lil piggy - is the other one still ok?

xxxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back