• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

X-rays for possible ovarian cysts

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggyme234

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Rosie has been to see the vet as she has enlarged nipples with crust on which are a symptom of ovarian cysts. The vet didn't sound very cavy savy and was unsure about x-raying her without sedation. She wasn't sure if the result would be very clear unless Rosie was flat on her back which is difficult to do when she is awake. Has anyone had pigs x-rayed upside down without sedation or had ovarian cysts x-rayed with the piggy just sat on the table?

AFAIK you can't see cysts with an x-ray, it is usually an ultrasound that's done for this.

Are there no more piggy savvy vets in your area?

My vet hasn't even done an US, she gve Whisks a hormone jab in the first instance to see if this helped, which it did

Thats what I thought that an ultra sound should be better but I had read somewhere that an x-ray was needed so I didn't question it. I might ring up the other vet that is a bit further away and ask their opinion.

Edit: found on guinea lynx. Sometimes the vet can palpate cysts and sometimes they can be seen on an X-ray. An ultrasound, although more expensive than an x-ray, is an excellent diagnostic tools for determining the presence of cystic ovaries.

Last edited:
Thats what I thought that an ultra sound should be better but I had read somewhere that an x-ray was needed so I didn't question it. I might ring up the other vet that is a bit further away and ask their opinion.

Edit: found on guinea lynx. Sometimes the vet can palpate cysts and sometimes they can be seen on an X-ray. An ultrasound, although more expensive than an x-ray, is an excellent diagnostic tools for determining the presence of cystic ovaries.

Yup that was where I read it too - where would we be without Guinea Lynx!

Shame you are really way too far away to use my vet, she is fantastic. I would see what the other vet says, never hurts to get two opinions and will allow you to suss out which one is more guinea savvy.

Ok - I'm going to be a bit contraversial/strident here.....

If the vet cant palpate or do X ray w/out aneasthetic or do ultrasound......then perchance you need to find another vet?

I DO let my vets aneasthetise - depending upon the area to be Xrayed and the (active) pig concerned. However ulstrasound deosn;t need GA in experienced hands....and my vets have this lovely "calming hands on" for any animal

If you are anywhere near Sussex then please go to my vets (PM me for details) - they;re GA regimes are brilliant for piggies and only used if aboslutely necessary to secure a correct diagnosis ..... and they */s piggies without anything .....and they're knowledge is second to none in view of their experience on all types of exotics.....

HTH
x

Well the vet has said she is willing to try a conscious x-ray, but I was wondering how clear it would be if Rosie was sat normally and not on her back, what do we think?

Would she need to be towel wrapped?

my suzy didnt have scan - vet could feel it and she had hair loss and her side was big - i feel confident she is right and suzy is being spayed today

Sarah from Chucklebunnies came round and had a look at Rosie as her piggy Carmina has had ovarian cysts recently so she knew what she was looking for and she couldn't feel any lumps but said that the nipple problem was hormonal. That kind of means that it could well be ovarian cysts and I caught it early. I rang the vet practice and asked to see the vet that I like and trust so I am taking Rosie back tomorrow. Charlotte, the boss of my younger herd, is also going as she might have a mammary tumor. She was checked by the other vet but I would like Kates opinion too.

When my vet suspected ovarian cysts in one of my piggies they did an ultrasound to confirm then gave her hormone injections. Sadly she had other health problems and had to be PTS so we never found out whether they worked. We were told ultrasound was the best way to check ( infact he didn't even suggest doing an xray ) and for the ultrasound, teeth filing, hormone injection and a course of antibiotics the total was around £55 which I thought was extremely reasonable so I wouldn't necessarily assume that it's horrendously expensive ( I think our vets charge less for an ultrasound then they do for an x-ray )

Hiya - I can only agree with Gems and a few other here in that I've experienced ovarian cysts with both my piggies, Daisy in April and now Maisy.

When I saw the vet she popped off and gave Maisy an ultrasound. I guess she was probably about 4-5 minutes, then told us she had 1 large and 1 small cyst on each ovary. She gave me a few options and after thinking about it for a few days, (then thankfully coming on here and seeking everyone's advice), I enquired about hormone injections and Maisy was booked in for last Monday to have her first injection and second is due in 3 weeks.

I must add though that although the said vet in question is absolutely brilliant, without a doubt (as she dealt with Daisy's passing and recently with our little yorkie Ozzy, who is fine now), but I don't remember her suggesting the hormone injection. Why?.....I don't know, but she was very good.

These injections are new to me, so we are seeing how Maisy gets on. They may not work, but at least it's a chance for now, rather than rush in and have her PTS just yet.

Hope everything turns out okay for your piggie. xx

PS Just wanted to add that the consultation and ultrasound fee was about £20.00 under exotic pet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back