• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Xeno 450 - what happens?

schnicksy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of my piggies developed a head tilt yesterday. She was seen by the vets, diagnosed with mites and given xeno 450. I have to treat my other three the same. This has all gone well, Flynn doesn’t have a head tilt this morning and everything seems normal apart from greasy fur where the treatment was applied. They will get a second treatment in two weeks as per vets instruction.

I was told there is no need to clean them out for another week as it takes a while for the mites to die. I wanted to check if this was correct/okay. And what actually happens once they’re treated. I can’t find any details online. Do the dead mites and such just fall away as part of normal grooming? Is it really as simple as it sounds? (Nothing ever seems to be simple)! Also, can they survive a 60C wash cycle? I need to scrub everything to make sure the mites have truly gone? Does that include replacing carrot cottages?

One of my piggies developed a head tilt yesterday. She was seen by the vets, diagnosed with mites and given xeno 450. I have to treat my other three the same. This has all gone well, Flynn doesn’t have a head tilt this morning and everything seems normal apart from greasy fur where the treatment was applied. They will get a second treatment in two weeks as per vets instruction.

I was told there is no need to clean them out for another week as it takes a while for the mites to die. I wanted to check if this was correct/okay. And what actually happens once they’re treated. I can’t find any details online. Do the dead mites and such just fall away as part of normal grooming? Is it really as simple as it sounds? (Nothing ever seems to be simple)! Also, can they survive a 60C wash cycle? I need to scrub everything to make sure the mites have truly gone? Does that include replacing carrot cottages?

Hi!

If a head tilt is connected to mites, then you are likely dealing with visible rabbit ear mites and not mange or fur mites. Treatment for all kins parasites is the same. The dead ear mites are groomed out. It takes about 48 hours for the ivermectin (the active ingredient) to be fully absorbed.

I would recommend a deep cage/hutch clean at some point; ideally perhaps one week after the second application when most mites should have got to by then. A third round is usually given in a full course to round up any stragglers. I would not do anything with the ears (especially not apply oil or water) to the ears and rather ask your vet for future ear care.
Guinea Lynx :: Parasites

Please see your vet asap if the head tilt returns. It can have a many different causes, from a blocked ear/ear wax, e. cuniculi, ear infection, blindness or neurological causes, which can be difficult to determine for a vet.

Hi!

If a head tilt is connected to mites, then you are likely dealing with visible rabbit ear mites and not mange or fur mites. Treatment for all kins parasites is the same. The dead ear mites are groomed out. It takes about 48 hours for the ivermectin (the active ingredient) to be fully absorbed.

I would recommend a deep cage/hutch clean at some point; ideally perhaps one week after the second application when most mites should have got to by then. A third round is usually given in a full course to round up any stragglers. I would not do anything with the ears (especially not apply oil or water) to the ears and rather ask your vet for future ear care.
Guinea Lynx :: Parasites

Please see your vet asap if the head tilt returns. It can have a many different causes, from a blocked ear/ear wax, e. cuniculi, ear infection, blindness or neurological causes, which can be difficult to determine for a vet.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Flynn will go straight back to the vets if she shows any signs of the head tilt again. The vet said they could see mites when they looked in her ear so I am hoping that is the only cause.

And thank you for the tip on the deep clean. I’ll mark it in my diary so I make sure it’s done at the right time. They will be cleaned out as normal until then of course.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Flynn will go straight back to the vets if she shows any signs of the head tilt again. The vet said they could see mites when they looked in her ear so I am hoping that is the only cause.

And thank you for the tip on the deep clean. I’ll mark it in my diary so I make sure it’s done at the right time. They will be cleaned out as normal until then of course.

Guinea pig mange mites (trixacarus caviae) and hay mites are (chirodiscoides caviae) are both invisible to the naked eye, by the way, but they do not affect the ears/balance.

Guinea pig mange mites (trixacarus caviae) and hay mites are (chirodiscoides caviae) are both invisible to the naked eye, by the way, but they do not affect the ears/balance.
She used a magnifying ear funnel thing (I can’t recall what she it was called) when she diagnosed mites.

I will keep an eye on her in case she shows any signs of a head tilt again though. They all live in my living room so I see them all the time and am able to keep a good eye on their health.

Back