• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Xeno reaction?

Jo83

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi I’m currently treating my 2 boars for haymites, they’ve only had 1 treatment of xeno so far & are due their 2nd dose next week, they’ve seemed fine & were noticeably better within about 4days although I’ve noticed today they both have a bit of flaky skin, it’s not too bad just some flakes in their fur, no bald patches or anything. Just wondering is this normal when treating with xeno? They are both scratching more again now but I read that this is normal between the 1st & 2nd treatments? Thanks

No idea about that. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will answer you soon.

Hi, a bit of skin irritation where you apply the Xeno is one of the known side effects, if the skin becomes broken or very sore see the vet but a bit of flaking or hair loss at the application site is a fairly common side effect of the solvents the spot on contains to help the drug penetrate the skin. Bit like hand sanitiser can dry the skin on your hands :)

Hi, a bit of skin irritation where you apply the Xeno is one of the known side effects, if the skin becomes broken or very sore see the vet but a bit of flaking or hair loss at the application site is a fairly common side effect of the solvents the spot on contains to help the drug penetrate the skin. Bit like hand sanitiser can dry the skin on your hands :)

That’s great, good to hear, thank you ☺️

Hi I’m currently treating my 2 boars for haymites, they’ve only had 1 treatment of xeno so far & are due their 2nd dose next week, they’ve seemed fine & were noticeably better within about 4days although I’ve noticed today they both have a bit of flaky skin, it’s not too bad just some flakes in their fur, no bald patches or anything. Just wondering is this normal when treating with xeno? They are both scratching more again now but I read that this is normal between the 1st & 2nd treatments? Thanks

Hi!

Are you sure that you are treating hay mites and not mange mites? Has a vet seen it?

Increased itching after the first lot is normal. Skin flakes during and especially after an infestationare somewhat typical for mange mites; they are dead skin caused by the burrowing and hatching of mange mite eggs in the skin itself and appear especially when the skin underneath is starting to heal again.

Hay mites fix their eggs to the hairs so the skin is generally a lot less affected. Strong itchiness and balding are usually only seen in rather bad infestations.

Hi!

Are you sure that you are treating hay mites and not mange mites? Has a vet seen it?

Increased itching after the first lot is normal. Skin flakes during and especially after an infestationare somewhat typical for mange mites; they are dead skin caused by the burrowing and hatching of mange mite eggs in the skin itself and appear especially when the skin underneath is starting to heal again.

Hay mites fix their eggs to the hairs so the skin is generally a lot less affected. Strong itchiness and balding are usually only seen in rather bad infestations.
Thanks for your reply, yes a vet seen them suggested haymites but said she couldn’t be sure without the tape test.
They both had the static black bits around their back end & 1 of the boys was particularly itchy but no bald patches

Thanks for your reply, yes a vet seen them suggested haymites but said she couldn’t be sure without the tape test.
They both had the static black bits around their back end & 1 of the boys was particularly itchy but no bald patches

Even with a tape test it is not always conclusive but as the treatment is the same for either mite, all you can do is hang in there and do the obligatory three rounds. Things should settle down a lot more a couple of days after the second round.
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites

Thank you, they’re 9months old so we’re in the middle of a hormone spike too so hoping it’ll settle quickly 🤞🏼 2nd round is next week 🙂

You know that can cut affected hay mite hairs short to remove the egg cases. What is gone from the body cannot emerge and cause more itching; it's as simple as that and the same principle that is behind the regular hand washing recommendation for Covid-19. With all respect to chemical/pharmaceutical solutions, never overlook the good ol' mechanical ones - they may not cure in themselves but they can massively contribute to minimising the problem. ;)

The hairs wil, grow back to their genetically determined lenght. You can feel the eggs sitting on the hair; like the tiniest of pearls on a string.

You know that can cut affected hay mite hairs short to remove the egg cases. What is gone from the body cannot emerge and cause more itching; it's as simple as that and the same principle that is behind the regular hand washing recommendation for Covid-19. With all respect to chemical/pharmaceutical solutions, never overlook the good ol' mechanical ones - they may not cure in themselves but they can massively contribute to minimising the problem. ;)

The hairs wil, grow back to their genetically determined lenght. You can feel the eggs sitting on the hair; like the tiniest of pearls on a string.

Great thanks so much for all the info, I have been trying to cut the hairs but George who is long haired gets very jumpy and kicks out if I go anywhere near his back end, I will persevere though 😊

Back