• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Xeno

Zanzan

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So my pigs all saw the vet and had a Xeno 450 treatment after Pepper developed the typical v shaped patch on her back. That was 9 days ago. It seemed at first the patch started to clear up but now seems just like it was before the treatment. It's been a few years since I had to treat for mites but I'm sure previously I didn't wait long before seeing some effect. So my question is do I just have to wait until after the second dose in 5 days time or should I be seeing some effect already? I know I sound impatient but waiting for this second dose is really frustrating! She seems fine and is eating normally. 20200218_131404.jpg

Tagging some peeps in for you. How long has it been since second dose?

Last edited:
First dose was 9 days ago. Second dose due on Wednesday

So my pigs all saw the vet and had a Xeno 450 treatment after Pepper developed the typical v shaped patch on her back. That was 9 days ago. It seemed at first the patch started to clear up but now seems just like it was before the treatment. It's been a few years since I had to treat for mites but I'm sure previously I didn't wait long before seeing some effect. So my question is do I just have to wait until after the second dose in 5 days time or should I be seeing some effect already? I know I sound impatient but waiting for this second dose is really frustrating! She seems fine and is eating normally. View attachment 143185

Hi!

You need three applications of xeno (50 or 450 depending on the weight), spaced two weeks apart; the new batch of mites will emerge after the application as the xeno can't kill off the encapsulated eggs in the skin, only the actual mites that have left the eggs. The third (and if necessary fourth) application will deal with any stragglers. You should find that two days after the second application things should be mostly over. Until then you will unfortunately have to sit out some uncomfortable days. You cannot treat any sooner as you have to make sure that the previous dose has fully worn off before you can treat again as ivermectin has got major side effects if overdosed.
However, before ivermectin there was nothing that would kill off mange mites... so we have to be very grateful to have it at all!

Thanks, will just wait it out then. Just seems such a long time to have to wait!

Yes, I know! :(
But keep in mind that you will get your boy through the next uncomfortable week, and then you are mostly over it. ;)

PS: Is he a single boy or has he got a companion? How long have you had him?

She is a she she lives with another girl Beatrice and neutered boar Merry and I have had her for just over 2 years. She is a little less than 2 and a half years old
20200507_215151.jpg

Yes they're all having a full treatment. Vet has seen them all and says they're all good apart from badly Pepper 🙂

Back