• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Yellow discharge

winifredandalp

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, wow its been forever since I posted here. Calling in because I’m not sure what to do. My girls are 2 years old and I got Alp out today and she has pale yellow discharge around her bottom. I saw this could be mucous from being in season, but I also noticed tiny fruit flies around the cage so I’m increasingly worried it could be fly strike? Cleaning them out tomorrow, will disinfect everything in the cage. Any advice would be appreciated (can’t get a pic of said discharge because she is so squirmy- her cagemate Winifred doesn’t have this discharge)

I would get a vet check. I've never noticed discharge in mine when they are in season but I have had a sows who had discharge and needed treatment for pyometra (womb infection)

Hi, thank you both for your replies! When I got Alp out to clean her cage out today, there was no discharge at all, should I still be on the lookout?

Thank you all! I will get a vet appointment booked ASAP and I think it may be a UTI since I just saw her straining and crying a little while going to the toilet.

Mine had the same problem, and it turned out to be Bacterial Endometriosis. Make sure to get an ultrasound scan.

Sorry, it was Pyometra. But I think I remember that vet said it did have some endometrium disorder as well :/

Sorry, it was Pyometra. But I think I remember that vet said it did have some endometrium disorder as well :/
You have to be careful about what you’re posting. It may be that for you but doesn’t mean that’s what the diagnosis will be for another piggy. As an aside, is your guinea pig not male?

Thanks, guys for the advice! This is a great place to learn and get support. Mango is quite particular I don't trust him alone with her. Anyways, All best for your girls, and if you have a feedback we would like to hear it :)

As said start your own thread rather than derailing someone else’s.

Thank you all! I will get a vet appointment booked ASAP and I think it may be a UTI since I just saw her straining and crying a little while going to the toilet.

All the best at the vets!

Could it have been a yellowish calcium pee - a cluster of calcium pees can sometimes be the very first symptom of a developing cystitis of some sort. Unfortunately with any urinary tract infections it usually takes several days for symptoms to firm up.

Back