• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Yellow Stains

AutumnThePig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So, I was cleaning the cage a few minutes ago and I noticed that my piggie has yellow stains on her fur (I'm guessing from going to the bathroom). There are stains under her belly and around her legs. I tried to clean her off using a baby brush with water, but not all of it came out. Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can clean the yellow stains off of her? Or any guinea pig shampoo products I could use?

Do you think that is just part of her fur? I might be wrong, but I heard some guinea pigs fur change color as they get older. How old is your guinea pig?

Do you think that is just part of her fur? I might be wrong, but I heard some guinea pigs fur change color as they get older. How old is your guinea pig?

I'm not sure the exact date, but she was born in September of last year.

Does your guinea pig look like it is in pain? If you can, can you show a picture of your guinea pig's stain?

Does your guinea pig look like it is in pain? If you can, can you show a picture of your guinea pig's stain?

No, she’s not in pain. I got a picture but it’s a bit blurry. She kept running away but you can see a bit of it. If you look a little above her belly you can see the stain. Her fur is still damp from when I was cleaning her with water.

Attachments

• 1098983C-50BD-423F-9C25-9F2319BE22F8.jpeg
    1098983C-50BD-423F-9C25-9F2319BE22F8.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 16
Can you see it in this one?

Attachments

• 155ED527-25E5-4A79-AF53-5BA7FA252555.jpeg
    155ED527-25E5-4A79-AF53-5BA7FA252555.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 15
I would recommend bathing that area and letting it soak in warm water. Does she have a cage mate? if so her little buddy might be spraying her.

Just clean the area off white piggies do get the odd stain from wee or sometime food.
Gorgeous Guineas do a range of shampoos for pigs. We have to sponge our white girl down from time to time when she gets particularly grubby :)) but I wouldn’t bather regular ever as it is far to stressful

I would recommend bathing that area and letting it soak in warm water. Does she have a cage mate? if so her little buddy might be spraying her.

How long would you recommend she stays in the water for? Do you think 5 minutes would be enough time to take the stains out? I'll probably have to give her a good brushing after sitting in the water for that long.

Just clean the area off white piggies do get the odd stain from wee or sometime food.
Gorgeous Guineas do a range of shampoos for pigs. We have to sponge our white girl down from time to time when she gets particularly grubby :)) but I wouldn’t bather regular ever as it is far to stressful

I agree, I wouldn't bathe her very often. This would be one time I would, though. She had a huge yellow stain from under her belly going up her back legs. Thank you for the recommendation on shampoo. :)

I agree.

How long would you recommend she stays in the water for? Do you think 5 minutes would be enough time to take the stains out? I'll probably have to give her a good brushing after sitting in the water for that long.
My piggy gets dry ears so I put coconut oil on and then rub it off and her fur will get really greasy from time to time. so I will use a damp rag with a little bit of guinea pig safe soap and then with a really wet rag I make sure I get all the soap off. then she is as good as new, but maybe this will not work with a stain.

I just took a look at Gorgeous Guinea's website, I can't find the answer to this--do you know if they ship to the US?

I just took a look at Gorgeous Guinea's website, I can't find the answer to this--do you know if they ship to the US?
If not use a baby shampoo that will be delicate enough

I’ve always wondered if tear stain remover (typically used in dog shows to clean up a white face) is safe to use on other animals away from faces and then washed off. I’ve no idea what ingredients are in there or if there is anything harmful so I am in NO WAY recommending this I am just curious if anyone knows.

I’ve always wondered if tear stain remover (typically used in dog shows to clean up a white face) is safe to use on other animals away from faces and then washed off. I’ve no idea what ingredients are in there or if there is anything harmful so I am in NO WAY recommending this I am just curious if anyone knows.

That's a good question for a post :D

Back