• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Yet more antibiotics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexr

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

Poor old Boris is on his THIRD course of antibiotics (poor lad). He has lots of protein in his wee so the vet has given him an anabolic steroid injection to try and get his kidneys working better (no wonder he has been running around like an olympic athelete haha!) and antibiotics. He is on his third course of antibiotics as he still has protein in his urine. Have been giving him probiotics everyday but am slightly worried about the effects of giving him antibiotics for such a long time.

Alex
:-\

What antibiotics is he on? I take it the vet has tried different ones? Bactrim is best to use on bladder infections/problems, so maybe that would be the best ones for him to try? What is his appetite like? I hope he gets better very soon.

Hi

His appetite is absolutely fine which is good. The first course of antibiotics was Septrin but that didn't seem to work so he has been on Baytril since then. Apparently after he has finished this course, I am to leave him off the antibiotics for a week then take him back to the vets to see what the situation is.

Alex x

Hmmmmmmm, this is a tough one :-\ Septrin is usually really good :-\ What dosage was he on with the Septrin and what is the dosage for the Baytril? He will definately need a break from them by the end of this course and your vet does sound to be knowledgable about guinea pigs. Fingers and paws crossed this way that Boris makes a full and speedy recovery.

Was a urinalysis and a culture run (to see what antibiotic would work best)? Also, I'm not clear what you mean by there is too much protein. Does he make crying noises when he urinates, is there any blood in the urine, and was an x-ray taken? Have you gone to another vet for a second opinion?

Yes, a urinalysis was done and it showed that there were abnormal amounts of protein present in Boris' wee and also that his urine was alkaline. The alkalinity levels have returned to normal but the protein levels are still high. My vet is pretty good but I might get my local rodentologist to take a look at him. Boris shows no discomfort when urinating but the situation was brought to my attention by the fact that he was drinking between 1.5 - 2 bottles of water per day. I decided to get him checked out thinking that it might be a sign of glucose in the urine but instead it was protein.

Alex x :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back