• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Young Boars Fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouiseD

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all , My 7 year old guinea pig boy Fudge died just before Christmas , since I decided this time to have 2 gps for company I started looking around rescues etc I had been looking for a couple of weeks as I really wanted to try rescue route first , long story short I fell in love with 2 little boars from pets at home, brought the little creatures home , after 6 days noticed my smallest boy was wheezing and crackling noises so he has been on antibiotics for 2 weeks, all good now, HOWEVER , Jerry The little one on antibiotics is now getting bullied by Tom, it isn't constant but the fighting is horrible to see , teeth chattering , big yawns showing teeth and I heard Jerry give the biggest steal and Tom had his fur in his mouth, I now feel in a massive dilemma , I need to move them to the outside hutch to give them more space but then I can't keep an eye on them , I am so scared that Tom is going to hurt Jerry , I couldn't bear it , I am at this moment feeling incredibly guilty because if I have to separate them then I will have 2 unhappy single pigs as I could not go down the route of worrying about bonding and neutering to 2 females , I can't have 4 guinea pigs , as I have space outdoors but in winter not enough space for 4 inside. I hadn't bargained on spending everyday worried sick they will kill each other, I have had them 3 weeks and they approx 12-14 weeks old
LouiseD, 38 minutes ago

Sorry to hear your piggies are fighting. I'm by no means an expert but in my experience of my boys fighting I would definitely keep a close eye on them to put your mind at ease. Could you move the hutch inside maybe? It is probably just normal boar behaviour although it looks scary to us so you have to let them fight it out between them until one becomes the dominant. However if they draw blood it's time to separate :( Check them everyday for wounds, sometimes when you see fur in a piggies mouth he may have bitten the other piggy - it can be difficult to see flesh wounds hidden under all their fur. Try not to worry about separating them, it's not the end of the world. A double decker set up might be very useful for space-saving if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back